Exciters/Enhancers

Ron Schilling

Hi,

My question is on using exciters to brighten up a final mix going from multitrack to "master" (or simply any stereo format for playback on a consumer audio system). My mixer has a decent sounding exciter/enhancer, and it does a nice job brightening up the final mix to where the overall sound compares favorably to pro studio mixes (or at least the better home studio systems).

I guess my question is really this: Are exciters/enhancers primarily designed to be used for preparing the final mixdown/master, or am I simply using the exciter to brighten up a "faulty" recording. If exciters are meant for mixdown, then it seems there are few companies producing outboard exciters compared to other types of effects. Aphex and TC Electronics come to mind, but I don't see this piece of gear being offered by Lexicon, Avalon, etc. Anyone know why?

Any and all insight into the role of the exciter/enhancer in the studio, particularly during mixdown, is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

if you feel you need an exciter on the track, it maybe time to have another try of the mix, you may be able to sort it out. otherwise it could be from mic positioning in tracking.

exciters/enhancers can be very dangerous if not used correctly.they can ruin a mix totally.

dont rely on the enhancers. they're usefull in situations where you need to give it a little LF/HF enhancement (maybe you've been sent a track that you didin't mix yourself), but dont rely on them totally.
check out the SPL vitaliser for a budget unit, or the SPL Tube Vitaliser. Aphex do some exciters, haven't seen the TC one. unless you are talking about the finalizer???

Back