Exchanging my Alnico II Pros

BluesJunkie

I need pickup help again. I put Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro humbuckers in my LP Studio, but I don't really like them. I wanted the guitar to sound bluesy but still be able to rock. The A2s sound ok, but they're too low output and the bass end is dull without any punch or presence.

I'm going to exchange them, so what should I get in their place? I did like the stock Gibson sound fairly well. But the 490R gets pretty muddy with distortion, and I'm just bored with the 498T.

Would a 59(n)/JB(b) get a good heavy classic rock & blues sound? Would they sound better than the stock pups? Maybe 59/Custom Custom? Any suggestions?

I have another question. Several people have said I should change my caps and pots. I bought some decent caps at Radio Shack yesterday, but I don't have time to order pots before the 21-day exchange period is over.

Would I be dumb to go ahead and exchange the Alnico IIs instead keeping them and replacing caps and pots? How much will new caps and pots affect my tone? Will there be a subtle difference or a HOLY CRAP difference?

I don't think it will be a "holy crap" difference, but your ears may be more sensitive than mine. This may be a stupid question, but have you tried changing the EQ on your rig to accomodate the new pickups?

The 59's are nice, but if I remember, they are a bit raw sounding. Have you ever thought about the DiMarzio Tone Zone? They sound nice in a mahogany bodied guitar.

Yeah, I've changed my amp e.q. to every different setting there is. I can get some ok sounds but not great.

I've considered DiMarzios, but since I'm exchanging the A2s under the SD 21-day guarantee, I have to go with Duncans. I'm thinking of trying a FRED and Norton in my other LP, though.

Give us some names of players whose sound you like and are trying to get to.

foo

Well, there's a wide range of sounds that I like, so I want to set up my LP Studio (the guitar this thread is about) for blues/classic rock and later set up my LP Standard for hard rock/metal.

Blues tones:
Shelter era Freddie King
BluesBreakers era Clapton
Albert King
etc...

Classic Rock tones:
Slash
Early Van Halen
Jimmy Page
Cream era Clapton
Glass Harp era Phil Keaggy
Leslie West