Excellent drum sound

Bartman

I count on me
I may be stating the bloody obvious, but here goes anyway.

On the way home from work yesterday evening I was listening to one of the few remaining classic rock radio stations here in the Houston, TX area.

They were playing "Aqualung" by Jethro Tull. The drum kit sound on that tune is incredible. Since the tune was recorded and produced in the 70's (I don't think it was remastered) they had to depend on great tuning, mic placement and player dynamics instead of samples and effects processing.

Anyone else out there recognize the drum sound on this tune as particularly good? I want that drum sound on my tunes!

Bart

Bartman said:
Anyone else out there recognize the drum sound on this tune as particularly good? I want that drum sound on my tunes!
Then all you need is their drummer, and a good room/mics/pres, and good engineering skills... simple! ;)

Simple task, right?

Well, let's see.....I don't think Clive Bunker is available and I don't have the necessary mic's, pre's, room or skills. :(

My drummer can hang with "The Bunkmeister" but we'll surely fall short in the gear and sound engineering skill areas.

Truth be known, it would be silly to expect similar results given the knowledge, experience and gear gap....just a sound that I admire and something to work toward.

Bear- What is your opinion of the the drum sound on "Aqualung" ?

Thanks,

Bart

It's simple

I was wearing my custom made anti-overly compressed radio broadcast audio converter headphones.

By the way, Bart, I recently caught Tull (most of the original guys) in a little outdoor theater (500 seats) in Budapest, Hungary. Absolutely awesome show, with some of the best live sound I've ever heard in my 30 years of attending concerts. And yes, the drums there, too, were crisp and powerful.
What a beautifully mixed and performed show by a bunch of guys that I hadn't even known were still around. Some of my university students went and didn't stop talking about the show (or band) for a week as Tull CD sales soared. Some music and performers are timeless.

Best,

J.

I agree

Tull was/is one of the more talented 70's rock bands, at times crossing over to the progressive rock genre because of their stellar musicianship.

"Sitting on a park bench..............."

Bart

Back