Everything sounds good but the CD

Barometer

I hope this is the right place to put this question. I have been working with some of our live recordings to get a feel for mixing. I have nearly completed the mixes and everything sounds great, the WAV turns out fine, the MP3s sound good, but when I burn the WAVs to an audio disc there is this weird shimmer on top of all the music, sounds like a poorly created MP3. I have no idea why this is happening. The tracks are recorded at 24/48. I convert to 16 bit after mixing is finished, but must I also convert to 44.1 before burning the CD (I did not do this)? Thanks ahead :D

Yes, your burning software is resampling for you and its resampling routine probably sucks. This is one reason I just record at 44.1. The benefits of 48khz, if any, can be completely reversed by bad downsampling. The high frequencies are where you'll hear it - good ear!

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I figured this was the culprit. So I'm using Sonar 2, if I go into the audio properties and set it for 44.1, then restart Sonar and open the project will this do the trick? Sorry but this bit depth/sample rate stuff is not quite clear to me yet. :o :p

I have used SoundForge to resample and no, just resetting the properties won't do it. Now there might e a resampling tool in Sonar, I don't know, but if you have Wavelab or SoundForge (or probably any number of editors) should be able to resample your two track for you. I also agree that, IMHO, recording at 44.1 and not having to resample is less destructive. I feel you get more audio milage from higher bit depth than higher sampling rate (when 16/44.1 is the final destination anyway).

Thanks Track Rat, We are going to be laying down tracks for our first studio recording here soon, so I guess swtiching to 44.1 from the start is going to be in order. Does it make much difference to record at 24/44.1 as opposed to recording straight to 16/44.1?

Barometer said:
Thanks Track Rat, We are going to be laying down tracks for our first studio recording here soon, so I guess swtiching to 44.1 from the start is going to be in order. Does it make much difference to record at 24/44.1 as opposed to recording straight to 16/44.1?

YES, record at 24/44.1 and when you convert to 16/44.1 make sure that you are using Dither or Noise Shaping to help retain the dynamic range.

Thanks Tex, BTW if you didn't see my office mates got a good laugh out of your binary joke. I work in R&D in 3D Graphics, so we're all geeks here :D

Do you happen to know if there is a converter or resampler in Sonar 2.0 to change these tracks I've already finished from 48 to 44.1? Or should I take this over to the Sonar forum? Or should I wait til I get home and look it up myself? That's probably the best answer, I'm at work and antsy to know what to do even though I can do nothing about it 'til later :rolleyes: :cool:

I stole the binary joke from a geek forum so I can't take too much credit. I thought that was pretty funny also.

The answer to the other questions is Yes. Actually I dont know. I havent used Sonar but it's pretty basic functionality so they better be able to do it. I usually use CoolEdit for that kinda stuff. Usually the 2track editor programs are more flexible for file conversions. (wavelab, soundforge, acid etc.)

Leave your finished tracks at 48 and finish all your existing projects out at that sample rate. Seriously.

Start at 44 on your next project!

Slackmaster 2000

Barometer - Sonar does not have the ability to convert sample rates. It can change bit depth, but not sample rate.

Bottom line is you should start recording at 44.1. Resampling is generally not helpful to your music. As has been stated already, record at 24 bits and 44.1 sample rate. And use a good dithering routing when finally converting from 24 bits to 16 to burn to CD. (BTW, although Sonar can covert to 16 bits, it has a pretty weak dithering algorithm. There are much better ones out there.)

Thanks Mike,

I know this has been asked before, but it sounds like it would be worth it for me to go get Cool Edit Pro or something to help with some of this conversion stuff. I've been doing all my editing and mixing in Sonar, and am finding that I wish I had a little more indepth control over individual tracks, is Cool Edit a good addition for editing tacks as well? As if I could afford it right now ;) :p

Back