Everybody needs headphones

thecuriouscouch

hi, ive been working on my garage studio for the last 6 months and i only have a fiew more things to work out. The last thing i need to figure out is monitors, well headphones. im not realy shure how to use my mixers monitoring out and send them to all the headphones in the room. there are 3 aux outs on my mixer. and 3 headphones to send them to. thanks
John

Have you thought about picking up a cheap headphone amp?

I grabbed a little ART one a year or so ago when I first got back into recording and it's served me well so far. And for the whopping $50 bucks it was, new - it was well worth it. The ART has 4 headphone outputs (in the rear) with a volume control for each on the front. I use it in my control room.

More recently while building my practice/live room I put in headphone plates/jacks around the room and wired them all over to a corner location. I picked up a Behringer 8 channel headphone amp. I plug the TRS ends coming from the wall plates (wires run through the walls, unseen) into the headphone amp. Now I can plug in headphones around the room and get sound each with adjustable volume. Works great - but more cost and labor intensive then the $50 ART (or similar unit)

-Krag

Try to find a headphone amp on eBay.

I just got a Furman 6-channel headphone amp for $100.
You can plug one signal in and have it go out to 6 different headphones.
Very useful.

I have a different opinion on the ART HeadAmp.

I had one and I found it was difficult to get the neccessary volume for tracking drums without the headphone amp distorting.

I ended up selling it on Ebay and bought a Behringer headphone amp. It works great and I haven't had any problems with distortion. I think they retail around $100, but I'm sure you can find one on Ebay or wait for a sale at your local GC.

I guess it depends on their use. I don't use mine during tracking, just in my control room. Though when I record myself I use it (as I'm IN the control room), but since I don't play drums - volume hasn't been an issue :)

Bottom line is, it shouldn't cost a fortune to pick up a headphone amp, which seems to be what the original poster was looking for I think.

-Krag

Back