Ever record one of those songs ...

dalley

... where you throw a rough mix together and it just works? I just recorded my bud and I mixed it down in about 15 min. I think it sounds pretty good, needs some tweaking, etc but not bad. Let me know what you think ... I'm going to scrap the EVH solo and have him do a more of a "Santana" feel type solo ...

Impressive

The performance is rock solid, the tune is great. I like it. The only things I might add for constructive criticism would be that it would be nice to fill that body up with some swelling keys, maybe a rhoades sound or a nice rock organ sound. If you don't like keys, maybe throw a riffing guitar behind the rhythm. Or possibly some background vocals to add body behind that driving rhythm guitar.

The vocals sit pretty nice in the mix, but there is a tinge of "sitting on top" of the mix. It could blend better, maybe EQ or a little reverb I'm not sure you'll have to play with it.

Last thing, there is a phrase in there that sounded slightly forced. It included some swearing, but I don't remember exactly which phrase it was. It was OK, but it did stand out as a little off rhythmically by adding an extra syllable or something, but it's passable if you leave it be.

Either way I like the song and the breakdown blues/rock riff after the verses really pops great. Good job.

Hold out a organ note for a backing organ track. It will sound sick after you do it for the whole song (use midi if available) only put it in the parts of the songs it works.

Song sounds really good and I really like the solo. You can always improve a mix especially only when you spend 15 min on it. It might be that it fit together well naturally but it doesnt mean it doesnt need more mixing imo. Spend some more time on it even if you dont think it needs it this track deserves it.

Dont change the solo, this one is great! Other than that there is not much i can add, except: I like the bass sound.

Thanks for the compliments guys

I have added a B3 organ which comes in on the 2nd verse ... great idea. The only other thing I want to add is some kind of solo on the outro ... it sounds empty. I updated the link if anyone wants to check it out again ...

thanks again for the feedback

If anyone cares, here is the gear used:

Drums: EZ drummer (as if you couldnt guess)
Bass: MusicMan Stingray>True P-solo>Ampeg SVX
Acoustic: Fender Dreadnought>SM-81>True P-solo
Clean Electric: Strat>Mesa Studio .22>Beyer M260/Unidyne III Sm57>Joemeek TwinQ
Solo: Ibanez Gem>Boss GT6>Mesa Studio .22>Beyer M260/Unidyne III SM57>Joemeek TwinQ
Vox: GT66>True P-solo

dalley said:
Thanks for the compliments guys

I have added a B3 organ which comes in on the 2nd verse ... great idea. The only other thing I want to add is some kind of solo on the outro ... it sounds empty. I updated the link if anyone wants to check it out again ...

thanks again for the feedback

If anyone cares, here is the gear used:

Drums: EZ drummer (as if you couldnt guess)
Bass: MusicMan Stingray>True P-solo>Ampeg SVX
Acoustic: Fender Dreadnought>SM-81>True P-solo
Clean Electric: Strat>Mesa Studio .22>Beyer M260/Unidyne III Sm57>Joemeek TwinQ
Solo: Ibanez Gem>Boss GT6>Mesa Studio .22>Beyer M260/Unidyne III SM57>Joemeek TwinQ
Vox: GT66>True P-solo
I think that the vocals could be more up front than what they are...otherwise..a cool tune

Back