Ever lose your work to a hard drive malfunction?

strat0tele

Everyday I worry about if I lose my shit, because i have 3 years of my music on one harddrive, and earlier this year I had the scare of my life when I thought I formatted the wrong hard drive, and lost all my recording shit. I almost went insane thinking I just deleted my work. Luckily I only accidentaly formatted my drive with 4 years of ripped music from CDs, which although made me cry as well only took a few months to get back to normal. Loosing MY music would have mad me cry knowing that all the tunes i've ever made or worked on were lost forever.

Has anyone ever lost their music due to a hard drive dying? It's times like these thinking about it, that I am considering getting a DVD burner which I would make a backup of a few sessions to a DVD and achive it.

strat0tele said:
Everyday I worry about if I lose my shit, because i have 3 years of my music on one harddrive, and earlier this year I had the scare of my life when I thought I formatted the wrong hard drive, and lost all my recording shit. I almost went insane thinking I just deleted my work. Luckily I only accidentaly formatted my drive with 4 years of ripped music from CDs, which although made me cry as well only took a few months to get back to normal. Loosing MY music would have mad me cry knowing that all the tunes i've ever made or worked on were lost forever.

Has anyone ever lost their music due to a hard drive dying? It's times like these thinking about it, that I am considering getting a DVD burner which I would make a backup of a few sessions to a DVD and achive it.

I don't save any of my work onto the computer H/D, because of the fact, it was a secondhand (my first mac computer) when i got it. I store all my audio onto my Glyph (400GB). Usually when i'm done with a client, i back up their whole session (on DVD) and keep it on file, just incase something does happen and they need the session later on down the track.

I lost my first solo album due to my MAXTOR harddrive dying on me during mix down. I actually cried... what a girl! :(

Later (six months on) I found out that my backing up was better than I thought and found 2 DVD's with all of the original audio on down the back of the desk! I lost a lot of the synth tracks and all of the effects settings but it's pretty much all there.

I've since been moving on with follow up to the unreleased album and have lost interest in the first one. Still not got round to mixing it!!!

EVERYTHING is now backed up after EVERY productive session.

... Never again... never...

I used an external HD for a little while and trying to "remove hardware" using the window's utility, there was an error and a few files got corrupted. I lost a few audio files in random projects and a lot of fade files, other random stuff that made sessions not open the way I had saved them. Really pissed me off. :mad:

Optical media isn't really a good long term storage solution - several CDs I have from around 5 or 6 years ago have corrupted files now when I try to copy them back onto my computer. And from what I read, my problems are not unique. As far as I know, the most reliable detached backup is to tape, which is painfully slow, but given that it's used by seemingly every company on the planet for backups, I'd say it's pretty reliable.

Yeah it's somewhat common for CDrs/DVDrs to go bad after several years (USUALLY 10+ if it's decent media). However, I can't see us homerec-ers backing up to tape. Optical media should work just fine. And hey, maybe every 5 years you can back up your backups! ha.

Anyway, I try to keep my stuff in 2 spots at least. final project mixdowns are kept on BOTH hard drives (24-bit versions). Then I also have 16-bit versions, and even mp3s of some. Just incase I would lose it somewhere, it'd be somewhere else. I've started putting some of it on my ipod now too, ha! Eventually I'll get around to DVDring all my final projects, to make sure I'll have them forever!

strat0tele said:
Everyday I worry about if I lose my shit, because i have 3 years of my music on one harddrive..
Has anyone ever lost their music due to a hard drive dying?
Yes. And you have good reason to be afraid.

over the years, i've lost 3 or 4 drives - some of natural causes, one to alzheimers, and one to idiocy. i've lost about 20 songs - most almost done, and one, during finals week while i was in college, the first 40 pages of my thesis.

Fishybob, i hear you. sobbed like a child, then called a data recovery company and sobbed like a child again after they quoted me over $4,000. now i've got 3 drives in my PC, and i copy all the good stuff (audio and graphic design projects) to at least two of them and burn everything once it's done...

it's a hard road though ...

I now have two harddrives, each with two partitions.
1 Programs & studio backup
2 Studio & other data

Constantly backing up data on both harddrives just in case.. and also to DVD in case of theft.

Paranoid, but safe!

elevate said:
Optical media isn't really a good long term storage solution - several CDs I have from around 5 or 6 years ago have corrupted files now when I try to copy them back onto my computer. And from what I read, my problems are not unique. As far as I know, the most reliable detached backup is to tape, which is painfully slow, but given that it's used by seemingly every company on the planet for backups, I'd say it's pretty reliable.

One thing I have noticed on this is that the media gets corrupted sometimes when its burned. You never bothered to check it before storing it away. I've saved a bunch of files to DVD then formated my drive and reloaded windows. to my surprise some files were corrupted.

strat0tele said:
Everyday I worry about if I lose my shit, because i have 3 years of my music on one harddrive, and earlier this year I had the scare of my life when I thought I formatted the wrong hard drive, and lost all my recording shit. I almost went insane thinking I just deleted my work.

I lost data ONCE. Taught me to backup my data regularily. You should try it :)

The one thing you CAN count on is that your hd will fail at some point in the future. That's what the MTBF (mean time between failures) rating is about - it's not IF but WHEN.

Yup. I lost a drive and did not have backup and I still hurt over it. I now have 2 HDs and clone drive 1 to drive 2 at least once a week. And when I fill up my 120GB drive, I'm gonna go get 2 BIGGER drives so I can have the same set up: one main drive and one of equal size to clone to.

Ouch! It still hurts!

altiris said:
One thing I have noticed on this is that the media gets corrupted sometimes when its burned. You never bothered to check it before storing it away. I've saved a bunch of files to DVD then formated my drive and reloaded windows. to my surprise some files were corrupted.

yeah, same thing's happened to me before. sometimes it's software, but more often than not I've found it to be a bad burner.

Back