Ever been afraid to ruin your songs.

DAS19

It happens almost all the time whenever I write a song and I really like it. It is very hard for me to put actually words to the music because I want them to be as good as music and I psyche myself out.

Anyone ever get this.

Yes.

I always hold in my mind the idea that maybe these lyrics are just temporary and I'll put the real ones in someday.

Or vice-versa.

Yes, but usually only once or twice.

Per song.

The problem with songwriting is there are too many variables.

It happens almost all the time whenever I write a song and I really like it. It is very hard for me to put actually words to the music because I want them to be as good as music and I psyche myself out.

Anyone ever get this.

All the time. It is doubly frustrating to come up with one good verse and a refrain and then get stuck. I call them one verse wonders, and I have quite a few of them.

Yea

I'm always writing lyrics and find I revise a lot. I take part of one piece and attach it to another. Some times I can't decide if I want those lyrics on that piece of music. So it goes both ways. I have found over time that you just need to keep working and if you need to steal from yourself in the future because something great ...some breakthrough in style and melody has taken place then you do what you need to do. Don't look back as much as look forward and never be afraid to revise, move on, write more or leave it alone. Does any of this make sense?

i hate the idea of formulaic books on writing songs and lyrics....i think you should just be true to yourself and of course take influence but give your own interpretation.

if it sucks then try again....or maybe give up if it isnt your thing.....but dont use tools ...its all so clinical.

Anyone ever get this.

After many years of writing tunes, I've found out that my songwriting method is a rare one. There are people who write the words first and put them to music; others write the music first and find the words after. I can't do it, nor have I ever done it, either of those two ways. For me, the melody and the words always come at the same time. Once the basic structure is done (verse, chorus, bridge), the words get tweaked and new verses get written and the chord progressions might change, but when then songs are new, the two melody and the words always come together.

When I write a song, I play it to the very intuitive Mrs and ask her what thoughts go through her head when she hears it. Then I try to write the lyrics around that theme.

Yeah. My Mrs is rather gifted when it comes to making musical metaphors as well!

I have had problems all my life making words fit into a song. I manage to write some fairly clever vocals, but they never seem to embellish a tune the way that I want. Either timing or melodic interference becomes the issue. Hence the title of my album in progress. "(Eclectic thoughts from) the Tip of the Tongue."

Loads of words in my head, but I can never seem to extract the ones that I am looking for. Nor do they fit! Grrr!!!

Eclectic thoughts from the Tip of the Tongue...
Never feels better until the sentence is....

I can often come up with catchy short sections of melody which suggest a chorus. If I keep playing it over and imagine that I'm listening to an artist performing it I'll find that a phrase - or at least the phonetic shape of a phrase (if that makes sense) comes into my mind.
So I end up with a couple of lines and a chorus - then I get stuck. I've learnt over the years that some people are good at lyrics and some at melody - few are good at both, and the latter applies to me so I take the idea to someone who's good at the words and ask them to develop the idea lyrically.
I've had several partnerships like this and it works well.
If you're not good at melody and lyrics it's far better to admit it at the outset and seek assistance.
Needless to say this system has worked well for more that one successful partnership!!

Yeah I get afraid of ruining it with words that aren't as good as the music, but even moreso I'm afraid of ruining it with my sub par recording and mixing skills. Yeah they say a good song will shine through a crappy mix (which I think is only true in certain styles of music), but having a good mix can surely help matters.

Yeah. My Mrs is rather gifted when it comes to making musical metaphors as well!

I have had problems all my life making words fit into a song. I manage to write some fairly clever vocals, but they never seem to embellish a tune the way that I want. Either timing or melodic interference becomes the issue. Hence the title of my album in progress. "(Eclectic thoughts from) the Tip of the Tongue."

Loads of words in my head, but I can never seem to extract the ones that I am looking for. Nor do they fit! Grrr!!!

Eclectic thoughts from the Tip of the Tongue...
Never feels better until the sentence is....

Eclectic thoughts from the tip of the tongue
Never feels better until the sentence is wrung
Through the wringer and hung on the line
Stretching from start to finish it fine
Dripping damp meaning onto the dirt
Leaving behind the skeletons of words

It was too tempting to have those expectants dots sitting there after "isi"!

Back