Eventide Harmonizers

Inspired

I've become quite intrigued with Eventide's line of Harmonizers. Does anyone here have any knowledge of them, or own one? Recommended models?

They're all very expensive, but seem to create the sounds that I would be willing to pay for!

http://www.eventide.com/

Eventide makes some beautiful and innovative stuff. People often think of the Harmonizer as an effects box, but it really has some incredible reverbs as well. For the special effects (i.e. harmonizing, certain delay algorithms etc...) a lot of people prefer the sound of the old H3000 even over the newer units. Some people attribute this to the AD and DA stage in the older units. Personally, it probably has to do with that and a host of other older "less efficient" parts in the older box and whether or not Eventide has "upgraded" the algorithms in the newer units. I currently have an Eclipse in my FOH rack and that thing is absolutley CLEAN. Just the other day I was showing someone for fun how clean it was by running CD playback through it with a 1.8 second reverb at 100% wet signal. With no dry signal at all there was still an amazing amount of detail in the verb, and it didn't completely smear a complete mix when routed through it. It really sounded and felt more like you were listening to a live band from the back of a room and not a reverb unit. I have heard that the V2 software in the Eclipse sounds better (an upgrade should right? ), and my Eclipse does have the new software.

H3000's run about $1000 or less used (there are several models available), and Eclipses run about $2000 new. With a used H3000 especially, I would say that you are easily getting your moneys worth:)

xstatic said:
Eventide makes some beautiful and innovative stuff. People often think of the Harmonizer as an effects box, but it really has some incredible reverbs as well. For the special effects (i.e. harmonizing, certain delay algorithms etc...) a lot of people prefer the sound of the old H3000 even over the newer units. Some people attribute this to the AD and DA stage in the older units. Personally, it probably has to do with that and a host of other older "less efficient" parts in the older box and whether or not Eventide has "upgraded" the algorithms in the newer units. I currently have an Eclipse in my FOH rack and that thing is absolutley CLEAN. Just the other day I was showing someone for fun how clean it was by running CD playback through it with a 1.8 second reverb at 100% wet signal. With no dry signal at all there was still an amazing amount of detail in the verb, and it didn't completely smear a complete mix when routed through it. It really sounded and felt more like you were listening to a live band from the back of a room and not a reverb unit. I have heard that the V2 software in the Eclipse sounds better (an upgrade should right? ), and my Eclipse does have the new software.

H3000's run about $1000 or less used (there are several models available), and Eclipses run about $2000 new. With a used H3000 especially, I would say that you are easily getting your moneys worth:)

Hmmm, H3000 or Eclipse?

I'm mostly after the harmonizing and pitch-shifting abilities of an Eventide unit. The other effects are icing on the cake. Does the H3000 offer pretty much the same effects as the late Eclipse?

Last night I read a Guitar Player Magazine review of the Eclipse. They're saying that it's the new replacement for the H3000 as an entry-level processor. Sounds like a great piece.

The H3000 is no longer made, correct? Seems like there's plenty out there for sale though...

If you are primarily after those algorithms, I would actually reccomend the H3000 and saving yourself $1000. :) If you want to delve more into lush but still transparent reverbs, then I think the Eclipse is the way to go. Also, check the H3000 out before you buy it to make sure it provides the I/O that you need. I don't recall whether or not the H3000 has s/pdif I/O or not, but I do not think it does.

xstatic said:
If you are primarily after those algorithms, I would actually reccomend the H3000 and saving yourself $1000. :) If you want to delve more into lush but still transparent reverbs, then I think the Eclipse is the way to go. Also, check the H3000 out before you buy it to make sure it provides the I/O that you need. I don't recall whether or not the H3000 has s/pdif I/O or not, but I do not think it does.

I think the H3500 goes there

xstatic said:

I think the H3000 only has XLR-type inputs. I remember that being one of my main problems with it. I'll look into the H3500. I plan on seriously studying all of them before making a purchase.

I read up on the Vocoder features! I never knew what those sounds were called, but I do now. Between the pitch-shifting and vocoder sounds, I'm hooked on Eventide. I also looked up Vocoder on the web and found some plug-ins for computer music also. Wild stuff!

Just go with an Eclipse. It's newer technology that is still being supported by Eventide. I owned a GTR4000 in the past. It was really wonderful, but was overkill sitting in my guitar rack. I'll bet I only used about 3 of it's presets. The older units (4000/3000) are an absolute pain to program from the ground up. Before I bought my GTR4000 I would hear those comments and just laugh at them...until I sat down and tried to create my own patches. You have to learn a programming language/GUI to program it. The Eclipse is more menu driven and can be easily configured through the front panel. I'm going to be buying an Eclipse shortly. The best price I have found is through RiksMusic.com at $1750. Great price, but I've never dealt with them. Second choice would be from ktjmusic.com for $1849 for the ver. 3 model. I'm not sure what model Riksmusic.com is selling. I bought my GTR4000 through KTJmusic.com and it was a very smooth transaction.

Good luck and have fun with whichever one you get! :D

biggestmuff said:
Inspired,

did you make a decision yet?

No, I'm still being pulled between the Eclipse and the H3000 or H3500.

For the price, the Eclipse sounds great, but does it have all of the same Vocoder and Pitch Shifting effects that are in the older H3000 units? You know, the effects that allow your guitar to sound like munchkins, monsters, and cartoon characters!

Inspired said:
No, I'm still being pulled between the Eclipse and the H3000 or H3500.

For the price, the Eclipse sounds great, but does it have all of the same Vocoder and Pitch Shifting effects that are in the older H3000 units? You know, the effects that allow your guitar to sound like munchkins, monsters, and cartoon characters!

Oh, good grief! That's a silly reason. Stop procrastinating and pick up an Eclipse.

If you're really concerned about the presets, here's a document cross-referencing the H3000 and Eclipse presets:

http://www.eventide.com/eclipse/eclipse-h3000presets.pdf

In all honesty, you'll only use those unusual presets once or twice a year sitting in front of the Eventide with your guitar scrolling through all of the presets on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

biggestmuff said:
Oh, good grief! That's a silly reason. Stop procrastinating and pick up an Eclipse.

If you're really concerned about the presets, here's a document cross-referencing the H3000 and Eclipse presets:

http://www.eventide.com/eclipse/eclipse-h3000presets.pdf

In all honesty, you'll only use those unusual presets once or twice a year sitting in front of the Eventide with your guitar scrolling through all of the presets on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Nonsense. Those wacky Vocoder effects are the best. I just want to make sure the Eclipse contains the same, or similar-type algorithms. I would definitely use them, too. I have several recordings that call for those out-of-the-ordinary sounds.

What's the story about the rants on Harmony Central's reviews about the Eclipse/Oroville/etc NOT doing diatonic pitch shifting??? The author of a number of rants over there claims true diatonic shift ended with the H3000 series.

I've been looking at H3000D/SE's, H3500's, and the H4000. Are they really that much of a PITA to program??? I think it's bogus that Eventide doesn't provide a little more information about these products on their site.

c7sus said:
What's the story about the rants on Harmony Central's reviews about the Eclipse/Oroville/etc NOT doing diatonic pitch shifting??? The author of a number of rants over there claims true diatonic shift ended with the H3000 series.

I've been looking at H3000D/SE's, H3500's, and the H4000. Are they really that much of a PITA to program??? I think it's bogus that Eventide doesn't provide a little more information about these products on their site.

That's exactly what I was afraid of. I know what the H3000 offers, and that's what I'm measuring everything by. I'm honestly still leaning towards an H3000 or H3500 over the Eclipse. They can't be that bad to program with patience. I agree though; Eventide's website needs some help...

Back