event tria system arrived!

drdrew

well...mr. UPS brought me a bundle of joy today...but i can't really play with them yet because of the inputs...either 1/4 inch or XLR, and the outputs for the akai dps16 are RCA...SO, i can EITHER get RCA to 1/4 inch connectors ant use the monitor outs from the AKAI, OR i could buy XLR cables and use the XLR outputs from my tascam CDR5000, and just use record/pause mode while mixing...does anybody have a suggestion on that???

also, i got another problem...my itchy, flakey scalp....o.k. not really that...BUT here's the deal, ONE of the event monitors LED lights is not working....bot speakers produce sound just fine, but they each have a little green glowing light of goodness that goes on with the system...but one is not working....do i return it(remember it was from 8th street.com so this would require shipping time) or should i just bite the bullet?

hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm....i don't wanna send it back....maybe they'd send me a replacement first???

anyway, the AKAI continues to perform very well, and i still haven't really had the time to get very deep into it.

but i like the fact that i haven't had to go to deep in order to start producing some cool stuff. i am finding the on board enhancer to be a very cool effect for final mixdown, and if you apply an effect in the POST position, apparently you can apply it at different levels to many tracks at once. I've already learned that it's easy to go overboard with the enhancer....next time i'll be more gentle...i also am having difficulty getting a hot enough final product...i think this is widespread with the all in one units...any suggestions there? o.k. that's about it for now...thanks all for valuable feedback and interesting posts!

Drew...
I would go with the RCA to 1/4" cables instead of going through the Tascam. Keep the chain as simple and direct as possible. Make sure to use high quality cables for this, or you're gonna sacrifice some sound when mixing down.
I can't comment on the "light" thing, it's your call if you want to return them for that.
As far as getting a "hot enough" final product goes...
What mic-pre are you using? Are you using the phantom power in the Akai unit itself? That would probably give you a more transparent, less warm sound. I'm not exactly sure I know what you mean. Obviously, digital is not as "warm" and forgiving as tape.

i did go with the rca-1/4 inch cable...because then i can use my monitor level control on the akai.

i just mean that my cd's need to be played at a louder volume than factory cd's.

but i cant seem to get a hot enough output on the akai...even with the master all the way up. it doesn't even get close to clipping on the tascam....but it will clip on the aki levels...like i need to run the akai into another unit to boost the volume before i send to the tascam.....did that make any sense???

It sounds like maybe you could've recorded each seperate track a bit louder than you did.
I did the same thing on my Korg D8 for some of our tunes.
When I took the songs to a sound engineer he "normalized" them to industry standard on Pro Tools during the mastering process. In other words, he leveled them all out equally.
Are you going 'OUT' through the SPDIF digital output to the Tascam?

yeah, i'm going out through the sp/dif digital out to the tascam....but as i said in an earlier post, the bummer about the tascam is that the input level adjust knobs are only active on the analog inputs...not the digital.

the new trias are sweet. my ears are happy to get out of the phones!

any thoughts on the bbe aural exciter?

i am using a lowly SM58 with no preamp....

a mike is on my list, but i've spent WAY too much money on toys the last 2 months (and you know i have)

but i can get hot levels with the 58...it just doesn't translate on to the cd.

You need a couple good mics and a nice preamp for that stellar set-up of yours.
Using a dynamic mic with that Akai is like putting 87 octane in a Lear Jet.
I'd start browsing the mic and preamp posts for some solid advice on which way to go. Also, go to a music store and listen for yourself... see what you like.
The ideal set-up for a home studio would be ...
A large-diaphragm mic
A small diaphragm mic
2 or 3 high-quality dynamic mics
Two quality mic preamps

These items are hard to give advice on. Just stay away from the "bargain basement" stuff.

Back