Event emp-1 preamp

Thrust

Anyone here ever used an Event emp-1 preamp? Better yet anyone ever mod one of these? I just picked up 2 of them at flea market prices and Im thinking with a 300 dollar price tag originally it must be a somewhat worthwhile preamp. Allready Ive noticed it makes things sound a little bigger than my mixers preamps do.

How old is that pre amp?

I tried looking it up on the company's website and they don't mention it in the manual downloads even?!

Got a picture of it?

Cheers! :)

I think it was mfg from about 1999 until about 2004, maybe a little later. One of mine appeared new and the box had a sticker on it that said reduced to 299 dollars. I found an old SOS review but their only comment on the sound is that its better than the preamps on most mixers. Not exactly a robust endorsement. Mix magazine has it on an old list of high end preamps but doesnt comment on the sound. In my not so analytical listening tests I found it to be clean, clear, low noise, but with an ability to make things sound bigger than tje other preamps I have acces to. It doesnt have a real character just an ability to ever so slightly enhance some sounds. Nothing that will floor you though. If I had paid 300 dollars Id be dissapointe but for what I paid Im happy.

Come on. No one else has one of these?

I would guess the majority of the people who visit this section of the forum use standard mixers with their analog multi tracks.

Stand alone pre-amps are more popular in the digital recording realm where a good analog pre-amp is deemed more vital to achieve some classic warmth. Often times, a good tape deck will do that all on its own, even with a lowly, old school mixer's built in pre-amp.

Cheers! :)

Far as I know, they were part of an early wave of low-cost standalone preamps that came around with the advent of PC DAW home recordists, but didn't take off like some others did. $300 didn't get you a high end pre then or now but I'm sure the Event gets the job done on par with other mid-ish level pres of its type.

Your finding of it being a bit cleaner/higher resolving than your mixer's pres but not earth shattering, comes as no surprise. Sounds like you got a good deal on a pair of competent pres.

Back