Event 20/20's w/ TA1600 or original krk v6's???

malice930

I am planning on buying monitors and I have narrowed it down to 2 sets of monitors. They are both used. It's Either the Event 20/20's with a hafler ta1600 or the original KRK v6's. I can get either of them for about $275. My problem is I can't listen to either of them. THe KRK's are on ebay and the person who has the event's doesnt have the amp anymore they used with them. So I'm just looking for your votes or say so.

Thanks

I used the 20/20's and that same Hafler amp for several years, and it is not a bad value. Those KRK's are pretty good also, as I've had the original V8's for several years now. I personally like having powered monitors just because there are fewer connections and the power amp is optimized for the speaker. The V6's are probably going to be a step above the 20/20's. You should also consider purchasing some new KRK Rokit RP5's or RP6's for about the same price. The Rokit's are really impressive IMO. I've got some RP5's sitting next to my V8's to give me a slightly different viewpoint from time to time, and they hold up quite well to the more expensive and larger V8's. :)

Over 8 years on 20/20's with a Hafler P3000. No complaints!

Pick the ones that make good sounding CD's sound the way you like them to sound. Really, no matter which you decide to purchase, you will spend at LEAST 100 hour of mixing getting to know them.

I had the exact same 20/20 Hafler set up. I got a lot of mileage out of it. Then I scored a Hafler P3000 on eBay and the sound opened up even further. I think the 20/20 Hafler combo is a good bet. There's also the option of upgrading the amp at a later date. Who knows what a Bryston would do for it!

Good Luck

I'm running a 20/20 and Hafler TA1600 too. I'm completely satisfied with it. Outstanding clarity and definition. I haven't tried the KRK's but they should be pretty solid too. You can't really go wrong either way.

I almost bought the Events and a TA1600. It was a very good sounding combo, but the Events were a little big for my setup, so I bought KRK Rokits.

But think about this: You can get the Event 20/20 Hafler 1600 combo for $450 new. The V6's will cost $700 new. That doesn't mean they sound better, though.

I got 20/20 biamped. These sound really great. I would also like to point out (this is what i think to be true) that the KRK V6 are 6" woofer and the bass response wont be as acurate as the EVENTS 8" woofer is.

Last edited:
from what I recall of having heard both

my personal preference would be with the 20/20's, but that's just a matter of taste, I think. What I don't understand is that you say he doesn't have the amp anymore, so how is it you're getting the combo for $275?

Thanks for the replies

I am going to purchase the amp from amercian musical supply for $150 and im getting the 20/20's for $125. So brand new amp and used $20/20's

Thanks

Back