Event 20/20s (passive) - amp????

pratt

after reading and reading and reading....I may end up purchasing the Event 20/20s (passive variety) - now a couple of questions that I would love some answers for....

these suckers handle 150W....would a 50W amp (eg. Hafler TA1100) have the power to drive these monitors??? or would I be better off going with a more powerful amp?

any opinions out there on Alesis poweramps?

for $500....could I do better than a pair of 20/20s and a 150W Alesis poweramp (or 50W Hafler poweramp)???

also...I've heard that powered monitors may be a better choice than passive+power amp...could anyone give me a quick primer as to why this is so??

thanks all for you responses (if anyone responds:D :D )

thanks for the link...

just wondering - were you aware that the search function was down when I posted this??

anyone have any info on the Alesis poweramps??

Forget the Alesis and samson amps

THey are substandard in performance and quality. You want the transnova Hafler series. I have a P3000 but you can do with less if you like. Check ebay for some good deals. Peter

The Hafler TA 1100 and 1600 both use the Transnova technology and can be had for around $200 - $250. Either will drive the 20/20s and sound very good.

thaks for the replies...

I was looking at either the TA1100 or TA1600 - but wasn't too sure if either would have enough to drive those monitors cleanly....maybe I'll stay on the safe sid and try out a TA1600 coupled with the 20/20s

You'd be better off with the Hafler P-series - particularly the P3000... but the baby Haflers will do if your budget is too small.......

Bruce

thanks bruce

unfortunately, the p3000 is just a bit out of my budget....I'm probably going to go with the TA1600 unless someone out there knows that this amp+20/20s is not a good combo....

could I get a better combo for $550?

Hey...I'm new here, but I wanted to let you know that I have the 20/20's and the Hafler TA1100. First, I must say that the 20/20's are simply AMAZING...I LOVE them! If I were going to do it all again, I would probably opt for the Hafler TA1600. The 1100 isn't exactly underpowered, but it's close. Actually, that's probably a blessing as it may end up saving my hearing. The 20/20's are so smooth, I would probably keep turning it up too loud. Overall, I am REALLY happy and the Hafler is a good amp - especially for the money. For what it's worth, I'd go with the TA1600.

-Bob

that does it....

thanks bob!! I appreciate the response...I'm probably going to go with that combo (20/20s w/TA1600)....good for my budget and from what I've been reading, good for my mixing:D

Re: thanks bruce

pratt said:
unfortunately, the p3000 is just a bit out of my budget....I'm probably going to go with the TA1600 unless someone out there knows that this amp+20/20s is not a good combo....

could I get a better combo for $550?

Yes, you can. GC has already recently advertised the TA1600 for as low as $199. I saw it in their flyer awhile back. That's a 20% discount. Go to GC and demand 20% ($110) off on the whole deal. Don't take "no" for an answer. Don't take their offer of a 10% discount. You can always settle for that later. Say you know a fellow recordist that got the KRK Rokits (same price as the 20/20s) and the TA1600 for $425 out the door (I did). Talk to the manager if need be (I did). Don't take "no" for an answer (I didn't).

In the end, after you've worn them down but they still won't give in, tell them you'll split the difference and settle for 15% ($82.50) off. This method works everytime for me, and I ignore their claims that they are already selling these "at cost." They aren't.

Back