Event 20/20's In the Studio This Week

crawdad

Dammit, Jim, Shut Up!
My friend bought a pair and brought them over so we could do a mix. That was cool because I got to audition them in a real world environment--my world!

I was pretty impressed with the sound. At first I thought they might be a tad bright, but it was pleasing and not harsh. They didn't fatigue my ears like the ol' NS-10m's I own. Much better bass perception and I could hear more shades of frequency in the midrange.

The big surprise was when I burned a mix and took it to the car. It translated so well, I was kind of shocked. The client was real happy too.

I don't know if these are the "best" for the money, but they kicked the crap out of my NS-10's and I could sure work with them and be happy for a long time. Might get a pair.

Anybody else use these? Impressions?

The few opportunities I've had to work with them left me with a pretty good impression.

They seemed to sound a little closer to what most people are actually listening back on. A little more like hi-fi speakers, but still flat and accurate enough to hear what was going on. You'd think they'd be something one could burn their ears in to and learn without too much difficulty.

And you can actually hear the bass. :D

I bought a pair in 1997 and they still are my preferred monitor. It is when I don't "trust" certain parts of what I hear that I get into trouble with them, meaning, they sometimes are REALLY telling the truth.

I use NS-10's from time to time, and have learned them pretty well too. I just don't enjoy listening to NS-10's at all!!!

I have listened to other Event monitors, and personally, I have fealt that the passive 20/20's sound the best. I have done VERY stupid things with signal routing on the console over the years that have delivered very loud blast's of volume to the 20/20's, and the drivers are still in tip top shape! :) I am saying this because I have heard from too many people using they more "budget" models (that are supposed to "sound like 20/20's) that they have had drivers blow up. Could be a QC issue, or it could be crossover design. Could be a lot of things, but I can say that I have never heard of a 20/20 passive user blowing a driver (I am sure SOMEBODY has, but I just haven't heard of it happening).

I stay away from their active crossover designs. I did not like how they sounded at all! The midrange was very hard sounding for some reason.

Anyway, as a 7 year user of passive 20/20's, my bias opinion is to by a pair. :)

Ed

I'll throw in my $0.02 on my 20/20's. I was originally mixing with JBL 4311's in a fairly large open room and had learned how to mix with them, but I had to have the volume extremely loud to get the 12" woofer to drive efficiently enough to get accurate bass. Then I built my tiny mixing room and couldn't handle the volume needed for the JBL's, so I picked up a pair of the 20/20 passives (having read comments by many on this board about them) and I love them. I can listen at a reasonable volume and get a good mix that works well through lots of different systems. At first I thought they were kind of bright, but then I decided to try adding some additional mid-high frequency absorption to my room and the sound just became great, and the translation is much improved.

Darryl.....

I just started recording in my first studio and I love the sound I get. It all hinged on the monitors I got. The 20/20's are the first pair of monitors I've purchased and will probably be the last for quite some time.

Back when I was shopping for monitors a few years ago, Ed suggested I check out the 20/20's. Glad I did, they've been a great set. I was going to buy NS10Ms, because that was what I owned before and was use to them, but a change is nice sometimes. I've also done some ridiculous mistakes in patching and send some alarming signal levels through them - nothing blown here.

Back