Evans dampened head

Paul Garvin

I recently replaced my bass drum head with an Evans head witha built in, changeable dampener. It was recommended by the drum tech at my local music store. It made an unbelieveable difference in my sound. It turned my old "el cheapo" drum set bass drum into a John Bonham special ludwig. It really is amazing how much different the sound is, both live and recorded. Anyone else try this drum head yet?
Paul Garvin

Yes the Evans Emad kick drum beater head. I have used them, and I love evans products. I use their hydraulics on all my toms, and g2's on my snare. But the Emad is a little expensive for my taste. Not when I can get an Aquarian super kick 2 for half the price. It is now my kick head of choice. You get pretty much the same effect, but its not adjustable.

Kick $$

For the $36.00 it cost, it was the best investment I've ever made on my set. My set is an old cheap Kamen set, and the kick never sounded good. After installing this drum head it sounds like a different kick drum. It has made playing the set so much more enjoyable. Maybe I'll pick up a set of the hydraulics for my toms as well.
Paul Garvin

JBlount,

Can you please elaborate on your use of Hydraulics (a mini-review if you will)? :D

I lurked around the Evans forum one day and there were many, many people on there singing the praises of the "newly designed" hydraulics.

The evens skins are nice. Im useing the emad on the my kick, 2ply glass on all batter toms, and g1 on bottom.

I love the hydraulics from evans. There are many immitators out there, but none that I know of that actually use hydraulic oil between the layers of the head. They are wonderful if you like nice full tom tone without all the bright harsh high end choked sound from single ply heads. They last longer and seem to take a beating better than anyother head I have used. As far as the Emad, where can I get one for $36? Last time I priced one, they were like $52.

Evans Head

I got the Evans dampeded head at Sam Ash music in Cherry Hill NJ. I beleive it was $36.00. I just remember thinking that it was pretty reasonable.
Paul

I use the Evans EMAD self dampening head on two of my kits that have 20"
kick heads and I love the results. also had it on my kit with a 22" kick head and I'm not as pleased with the results. Perhaps I got a bad one, but it still rings terribly
and I replaced it with an Acquarian
Force 1 and like it much better now.
I don't know why I'm so lucky, but at the Guitar Centers here on LI I've never paid any more than $27.50 for an Evans EMAD head and that was in the last couple of months.

I guess its been about three years since I had looked into the emad. That was probably when they first came out. I will have to take a second look. Thanks guys, but you should also check out the aquarian super kick 2. They are awesome.

The Super Kick II was my preferred head until the EMAD came out. The EMAD is now my first choice.- but I can go either way - it depends what's in stock.

Rimshot - I have an EMAD on a 22" maple kick (with the wider damper) and it gives me a very controlled sound - but every drum has it's own personality.

By the way, Musician's Frien was recently selling the EMAD for $29.99.

Hi Mikeh,
You're right about every drum having a different character, but in this case I think I got a pesky head. I was having adhesion problems
with the plastic ring that the foam fits into. I really do like how the other two that I have sound.I'll probably eventually pick up another 22" EMAD. But for now, I've got it sounding good.

The EMAD made QUITE a difference in my kick recording. Love it. I got some of the the little dampening strips with velcro for my toms and didn't like them. The one on my floor tom makes a rattling rustling sound.

StevenLindsey said:
The EMAD made QUITE a difference in my kick recording. Love it. I got some of the the little dampening strips with velcro for my toms and didn't like them. The one on my floor tom makes a rattling rustling sound.

Ok thats it. I HAVE to try this head now!

Steven I have one word for you: Moongel! (I just use one on my floor tom and one on my snare...works like magic).

just occured to me... remo weather king 2 ply clear heads have hydralic oil between plys, i'm pretty sure. i use em on al toms, and like em better than any other head - for toms. i use g2 on snare and EMAD on bass(22"). i think it sounds alot better because the plys are thicker or more oil is used. they are alot heavier than a remo 22" head, and it's not just the mufling ring. and the g2 with the lil holes in it is awesome. do they make a genera head like that with a power center?? cuz that would be *ding.

and the EMAD gave me the same problem, falling apart on me. and it;s funny, i've tried to re-adhere it but nothing takes to the foam on the head. by the way, i use 12" of rolled up towel pressed firmly against my EMAD from the inside to control the ring. also on the resonant head, it made the drum's decay quicker without squashin the drum. and it still rings, but in a controlled way. i don;t want it completely dead. sounds good.
i managed to get it to resemble Dave Lombardo's kick sound on Grip inc. and the new Testament album, the Gathering. lots of tone and low end, medium resonance and more attack than any other bass drum i've ever heard. anyone else farmiliar with Lombardo's recent recordings?
anyway, the attack i'm getting is due almost wholy to my new beaters (i finally got the hard plastic ones with the white felt on the front) but i added a Danmar head pad to it. The pad has a 1/8" thick peice of plastic where the beaters hit it, and i recomend it for anyone who has a problem getting high attack heavy metal bass drums. they make one with a metal pad, instead of plastic, but that would be too much attack. the click ya get with the plastic is more than enough as it is.
lemme know if any of u try it, i wanna know what u think. i personally love it.
Mike...

Back