Evaluations, please???

fuzzworth

I'm hoping to put together several CDs of my acoustic music both solo and with a small group (guitar, fiddle, banjo, mandolin, etc).
I'm thinking of the following package, and would welcome any and all comments, including comments on the package price.

Roland VS880EX; Flyer Pc interface for computer; Aphex 107 2-channel mic preamp; VS-CDR2 burner; Opcode (sp?) MIDI interface; Samson Servo Pro 170 power amp (for monitors); necessary cables, connectors. Package price, $2938. (I've already got decent mics and speakers). Whaddya think?

Earlier several folks suggested that I go the computer route, but It would involve starting from scratch, as my laptop won't take a hot sound card, etc., but I can use it as a graphic display for mixing on the Roland.

hey man, I just got the Roland VS-880 EX and their DS-90 moniters. anyway I've so far been very satisfied with the results of my acoustic guitar recording. I record it with a Shure SM57 going through the MX1602A Behringer Eurorack that I got at Sam Ash's for $275. The recorded sound is great, but if you want you can always add one of (I think) 3 acoustic guitar sounds in the VS-880. Also, get the book, The Recording Guitarist by Jon Chappell for like 20 bucks, it was the best investment in a book I've ever made. It has tips on how to eliminate the "scratching" from moving your hands on the strings and stuff, so with that and the quality of the VS880 and moniters, all you get is a SWEET guitar sound. But if you can afford a better mic than the SM57 go for it, it all depends on where you wanna go once you have your stuff on tape. oh yeah, don't go the computer route if you can go digital, you won't regret it. but I've heard mastering is good on the computer for burning cd's. well I hope that helps, but you still should talk to an expert at a music store who can hook you up with exactly what you want. peace out and good luck recording.

[This message has been edited by randompurpleness (edited 10-29-1999).]

[This message has been edited by randompurpleness (edited 10-29-1999).]

Thanks, randompurpleness,for the comment; I've got an AKG C1000 and an AKG C3000, as well as a couple of SM57s, so I think I've got the mic business covered for now. Maybe I'll get into Neumanns or something when my first recording goes gold or at least brass. I'll look for the Chappell book you mentioned. Speaking of books, I picked up a couple through Musician's Friend catalogue that seem pretty good. One is Home Recording for Musicians, by Craig Anderton (c 1996) and Digital Home Recording by Keating and Anderton (C. 1998). The first one might be a little dated in its discussion of equipment, but the overview is pretty good. The second one is newer, but less technical about electonic theory, etc. Both books are over my head a good deal, but each time I go through them, more stuff seems to make sense.

Back