Evaluate Queue's Mix of High School SK8/Punk/Alterna/Christian Trio

Queue

Background info:

My brother has a basement full of equipment... (he's 40)

There's a band in his hometown that is 3 kids in high school. I hope I didn't misclassify them, you listen and tell me. They come over to my bro's every now and then and record. I dropped in on their last session, with my trusty LD condenser mic and recorded some vocal overdubs. I came home with raw .wav files (10-12 tracks/song) for a ton of songs, 4 of which we did overdubbed vocals on. Everything else was tracked live, and retakes were rare.

I'm applying what mixing knowledge I've picked up (mostly here) in the past year or so, and mixing these tracks.

The first of the PAR3 mixes: Don't Grow Old

I'm looking for comments on the mix, but feel free to comment on anything else. I'm doing this just for fun, and to learn. Mebbe some day I'll feel comfortable enough to charge someone money for this effort, but I'm FAR from that point now.

If you like, I'll post up as much signal chain/recording mixing/technique info as I can recall. Just ask...

Thanks for listening,

Queue

The vocals sound quite nice. A bit small but nice.

The other instuments sound pretty good. They have a slightly dull quality that I am guessing must be the mixer since all the instruments have this dullness. Try messing with the mids.

Nice energetic songs and nice vox.

Funk on!

hey Queue, I have it playing now.. I think the vocal recording sounds good. The song is decent, nice bass sound, I'm not crazy about the guitar playing, or the sound, but the tune reminds me of old New York hard core...(N.Y.H.C.) :) which is a good thing in itself.. I think the mix is pretty good IMOP. Theres some performance mistakes etc, but it is good for what it is. Pretty decent tune though..and the recording sounds pretty good to me.. My main problem is with his guitar sound. It was a good tone for a different song IMHOP..

Nice job overall

later

sam

(B.Sabbath)

BTW - it took a little while to d.l. (cable modem) and some people might get turned off by that.. Maybe slap it on Nowhere or something..

Last edited:
agree that everything but the vocal is somewhat dull. Nice souding bass, but the guitar kinda burried the kick at some point. You might want to scoop some lows from the guitar in order to give kick it's own space. Good job overall tho

AL

Back