ESI Professional concerned about M-Audio Studiophile BX5a product design

Could it not simply be a (very stupid) mistake made by M-Audio, to not buy the design, but still produce their own version of it (miscommunication between the M-audio Rep. that talked to Esi about the design, and the actual guy in charge of the production)? Perhaps the guy at M-Audio that gets to say the "go" on a new product thought they did buy the design, which turned out to not be the case, but they already produced stuff so they decided to take the chance and sell them anyway? Seems like a long shot though. I'd hate to see M-Audio go down the Behringer path.

a great business thread...like the old Joe Meek stuff awhile back. who owns what.

sounds to me the root cause is the China foundry. How "secret" can you keep a new design, when the same factory is making both....

what will probably happen is the China factory will start selling their own...

MESI.

MESI Ultra Pro Studio Monitor that looks just like M-Audio and ESI....but without any design changes...hell they have all the drawings.

COOLCAT said:
what will probably happen is the China factory will start selling their own...

MESI.

MESI Ultra Pro Studio Monitor that looks just like M-Audio and ESI....but without any design changes...hell they have all the drawings.

Except it will be called MESI Super Ultra Pro Amazing Studio High Fidelity Recording Monitor Speakers.

Heh, actually that happened to my Dad's company. They sent a liason to China to discuss manufacturing of certain parts for hydraulic pumps, and sure enough, two years later China is all of a sudden making hydraulic pumps that are IDENTICAL to his pumps. It's pretty shitty when you spend hundreds of hours testing and designing a pump or valve, spend thousands of dollars in legal fees to have it patented, and then a Chinese knockoff comes around due to a complete abyss in the international copyright area.

Yareek said:
Heh, actually that happened to my Dad's company. They sent a liason to China to discuss manufacturing of certain parts for hydraulic pumps, and sure enough, two years later China is all of a sudden making hydraulic pumps that are IDENTICAL to his pumps. It's pretty shitty when you spend hundreds of hours testing and designing a pump or valve, spend thousands of dollars in legal fees to have it patented, and then a Chinese knockoff comes around due to a complete abyss in the international copyright area.
China is a long-time violator of intellectual property rights. No surprise there.

MadAudio said:
China is a long-time violator of intellectual property rights. No surprise there.

Yes - that's why some companies (especially companies that use leading-edge or bleeding-edge technology) continue to build their products outside of China... cheap labor doesn't make up for losses attributed to knock-offs and stolen designs.

yeah, alot of data shows outsourcing doesn't pay (long term).
its stupid simple.

the outsource guy offers HUGE $$$ savings if the guy moves the work to them.
then after the Owner guy lays-off his employees and shuts down the factory and gives the work to the outsouce company....

then the outsource snake says
"OK!Your factorys shutdown! good job!! hahahhaa...."
and By the way...my prices are going up,up,up!!!
thats right my prices have doubled again.hahahhaa"
"go build it yourself, dipshit, if you don't like my outsourcing service!! go to hell!!"

its such a basic chess move it amazes me that people can even act surprised when they get screwed. they almost deserve it.

its like dealing with a crook, what do you expect? a fair deal?

or Ebay... :eek:

Back