Esco's first mp3 on HR

Esco1

this song was done 6 months ago on my 1680(which I sold)
with only mackie pres, a SP VTB-1, and a shure KSM32.
WARNING-its in spanish
here

Very good playing, a professional band?
Maybe the accordeon is a little too loud in the mix, especially when the guy is singing.
The snare sounds very muffled and away, like it has got no separate mic.

Now I actually hear the only thing recorded decently on the drums is the ride-cymbal.
Some tome-hits are clipping, and overall it sounds way too muffled and dry, except when the drummer plays his rimclicks, then it's pretty fine.

For the rest: vox sound good, performance is good, good song.

Oh now I see you just used 2 mics.
Did you record all the instruments separately?

And could you fix the vocal by the way: I'm not understanding a word of it..
Maybe you could talk about it with Pedullist, he seems to have the same problem with vocals, according to the rest here (it's always fine by me, pretty strange).

F_cksia, I'm with you 100%.
the drums werent meant to be final, and were just
to lay down everything else.
I was to go back and redo them.
unfortunately, the drummer never came back!
if you notice, the drums werent even stereo.
but I'm pretty content with everything else.

yeah, 95% of the population tell me they cant
make out a word of what I'm saying.
I cant figure out why!?? ;)

English Accent

Yeah, pedullist really has developed a horrible english accent, it really affects his singing badly, I hope our new friend doesn't suffer the same fate.

I'm downloading now ... VIVA LA MUSICA !!!

pretty good man. The mix is not bad at all for what you recorded. I`d use some verb on that accordian and move it back a bit with less volume. The drums sound as if they had deadeners on the heads. Not enough tone coming out. The snare sounds a little dry and flat too. Not bad recording to just use 2 mics on the kit though. Voice is good but it sounds like the extreme highs on it are boosted where some mid around 2.5 to 3 would lift it. Mi gusto..

.... really full sound... nice... good good good GOOD accordion sound... excellent percussion... excellent bass sound... really rich sounding mix.

IMO the mic choice you've made here (for voice) is O.K.... but IMO something like a Rode NTK... or Neumann TLM103... SOMEthing with a slight high-end boost would lift these vocals in your mix to the right level, and flatter them just the right way.

AS IS... the vocals sit fine... but would be better with a more flattering vocal mic... something with more presence

(Of course, if you've used one of those here... my bad :D)

The drums have an odd ambience on them... but everything else is very, very sweet...

Very very smooth listen. Especially enjoyable w/the European-flavored accordion there.

Chad

Esco1 said:
this song was done 6 months ago on my 1680(which I sold)
with only mackie pres, a SP VTB-1, and a shure KSM32.
WARNING-its in spanish
here

Well done. Esco. The accordionist is a gem! Great dynamics! Your vocals seem to contain most of the audio spectrum I would expect to hear in an adequate recording. Your mics are fine. However, I note uneveness in the vocal volume from time to time. This may be, and probably is, technique related. Carefully selected compression might keep things on more than an even level perhaps. You have a wonderful and smooth voice. I think you might benefit from a more "forward" approach to your phrasing. More air. Longer phrasing. More balls (cohones?) :D Seems like a little hesitation from time to time. Used to happen to me alot. Your intonation AND enunciation is very good. Very important as we all know. I would put a little more verb on the vocals for more presence, personally. Agree with the snare drum. Muffled big time. Rest of the set does not suffer the same fate, thankfully. Meter is ocassionally uneven due to some occasional drum flubs by the "drummer who disappeared". LOL Loved this piece overall and enjoyed listening to it a couple of times. Pro feel and vibe. Best of luck!!! ---Lee

Toki987,
the drums do have deadeners on them.
they have since been taken off. the voice was tracked on a
shure KSM32, which is very neutral sounding.
the accordion could probably be dropped a few notches,
but I liked the performance so much that I wanted to
showcase it. thanks 4 the comments.

Participant,
yup, the drums definitely sound odd.
they werent meant for keeps.
I've always wanted to try the NTK, but isnt it flatter sounding?
I have a C-1, and I find it too bright for most vocals.
thanks for comments

SOUND DIAGNOSIS,
I play accordion, but on this track my cousin lent his talents.
he's a 21 year old freak!
yes, the vocal track is a little uneven. Mainly because I
cant get much air through my nose and find myself gasping for
air. This is reflected on the track.
I tried fixing this with compression, and I believe its marginally
better than originally.

F_cksia,
no we are not a professional band. Although I believe if
we pushed...who knows.
Thanks for that compliment though.
especially since the guys are all under 24 yrs old.

Back