Error message: illegal song name! on a MR-8 HD

Fred Shaub

On Saturday I set up the 'song' track I needed for an orchestral recording on Sunday. All fine. Recording went well. On Monday I tried to set up for another session and got the 'illegal song name' every time, even when using the default title like 'Song53'.

<Note>: If you enter the same name as an
existing song or do not enter a name in step
5 and press the [MENU/ENTER] knob in step
6 below, the display shows "Illegal Song
Name!" and returns to the song name editing
screen.

Does this answer your question

<Note>: If you enter the same name as an
existing song or do not enter a name in step
5 and press the [MENU/ENTER] knob in step
6 below, the display shows "Illegal Song
Name!" and returns to the song name editing
screen.

Does this answer your question

I have definitely not used same name twice. Went through exactly same steps that have worked for years. I'm baffled.

All I can suggest is that you update your software and re-format to start with a clean machine.

Thanks. I had wondered about that My only worry then is that there will be no song names of any sort and things might get worse. At the moment I could re-use old ones and at least be able to record.

The "daft" thing about the Fostex MR series is that they were originally designed to "front-end" a computer based editing and CD burning setup. The later models have Hard Drives and CD burners fitted but the original design remains basically the same. The result is that the DOS is very basic and cannot handle complex disk operations.
My advice is to download (to a PC or to a CD) and re-format the disk after every major recording session. In this way the disk is cleaned up before any future recording sessions.
If you use the disk for storage, it gets too cluttered and errors follow. A Song "Delete" only marks the Song as hidden but does not free up disk space.

Back