Equipment you need for staring on some guitar tech?

Vamecx

I've been playing guitar for around 4 years now. Currently own an electric, acoustic, a bass and a ukulele. Outside of changing strings, cleaning, adjusting pickups and action, I really don't know anything about maintaining a guitar. My guitars tend to sound fine, but I wanted to get into guitar tech. I want to learn things like adjusting the bridge, neck, string height, string curve, etc. I know how to do some things like adjust action, but I don't know it down to the numbers, I just do it to what feels good and what gives me less buzz at the lower frets.

So what are all the equipment do I need to start doing this kind of stuff? Also, does anyone have any links for a good tutorial on this kind of stuff? For now I just want to learn maintenance, I don't really want to learn how to put together a guitar, change pick ups, or any of that more complicated stuff (yet). :P

Thanks! :)

Outside of changing strings, cleaning, adjusting pickups and action, I really don't know anything about maintaining a guitar. My guitars tend to sound fine... I just do it to what feels good and what gives me less buzz at the lower frets.

For now I just want to learn maintenance,

Thanks! :)

Sounds to me like you already know that stuff. The stewart MacDonald website had some good info, as does the reranch site, though both are mostly geared toward building and refinishing guitars. A book book to buy is called "the guitar handbook". Just Google that title and itll come up. Its an excellent resource and you'll learn a lot from reading it.

Other tham that, I suggest just jumping into it. Buy a real cheap guitar and see how much you can improve it. I started doing tech work and eventually started building guitars, all because i was too broke to afford to pay for repairs (I used to REALLY abuse my gear) and had to figure it out as i went. It got to the point where I was soldering input jacks into my axe on the bar, right before gigs. Lol!

+1 for elbandito's advice.

The first thing you need is a workspace. It need not be elaborate, Just a surface with a means to support the neck and secure the guitar, and padding to protect the finish.
Get a couple of books on guitar repair. Stew-Mac is a good source. (read through their "tech-Tips section as well)
Buy tools as needed to do whatever job is before you. You can make many of them and adapt regular tools for others.
A gauged set of nut files, fret crowning files, good straightedge, fret saw, and fretting hammer might be good choices for your initial foray. Or, you may choose a good soldering iron and tackle guitar electronics first.

Good luck to you

Good luck in your venture. I started working on my own guitars in the 1980's, I was lucky enough to get a job at Guild Guitars in Westerly. I learned a lot there. I have aquired a lot of tools and experience since then and have turned my hobby and passion into a small business. I buy alot of tools from Stew Mac, they are expensive but well worth it. have a look here: STEWMAC.COM : Guitar Buidling, Repair, Lutherie Tools at I have some of these benches also, they are great for the price. 60" Hardwood Oak Workbench w/ 4 Drawers

VP

Back