Equipment Question

Marco62

Hi, I am fairly new here and am hoping I am putting this thread in the right place. For the last 15 years or so I have been recording on a Tascam DP-01FX/CD. I love this recorder! It is simple, like a cassette recorder), the recordings are good, and I could burn it all right to a CD. As me and my DXP get older i'm realizing that I will need to get something to replace it soon. It's starting to do weird things. What would you guys recommend? I am reluctantly realizing that no one cares about CDs anymore, so I am guessing I'll need some kind of DAW, and a couple of interfaces to plug instruments and mics into the computer. I have messed around with garage band, not seriously, but it is free. I'm looking for recommendations to sadly replace my Tascam. If you think a DAW is not the answer, then what should I look at that is comparable to what I'm use to?

Thanks! I appreciate any input or suggestions!
Marco62

First, decide if you want to stick with the quick, easy and portable setup you've been using. If so, you could get a DP-006, DP-008EX or even a DP-03SD.

DP-006 : Batteries Only - No XLR inputs
DP-008EX : Batteries or AC Adapter - Has XLR and 1/4" Inputs
DP-03SD : AC Adapter Only - Has XLR and 1/4" Inputs

There are gobs more brands to choose from. I stuck with the Tascam models due to your familiarity.

You can go next level with a DAW and Interface. You should only need one interface - get one with enough inputs to accommodate the number if mics/instruments you'll be recording simultaneously, otherwise just get one with two inputs for recording a vocal while playing guitar. The interface will let you plug your guitars, mics and (if equipped) MIDI gear into your computer using proper XLR, 1/4" and MIDI lines. DAW choice is highly subjective - whichever you feel most comfortable using.

Not many of us are using the same gear combinations. The interface will probably be the most expensive piece to begin with. I see the DP-01FX/CD has a hardware effects send/return - DAW's with interfaces make it more complicated to integrate outboard hardware for effects send/returns.. more inputs on the interface are required. Otherwise, use the DAW's built-in effects plugins.

There are some who just prefer to use a hardware based recorder, as you have been doing. There are still companies making stand alone recorders, primarily Tascam and Zoom.

I first had Yamaha recorders, but like your DP01, the AW1600 only has 40GB. It can get filled up, then you have to tidy things up to continue. Plus it wasn't quite as good for portability. So I added another recorder, and my preference was to get a Zoom R24. It was between that and the Tascam DP-24SD. I wanted something that could record 8 channels at a time. Everything is recorded on SD cards, so you don't have to worry about the hard drive going bad, or running out of space and needing to clear off projects to keep working. SD cards are cheap and available everywhere. All the new ones connect to a computer via USB, so you just dump your finished mix to the computer and burn that to a CD if you want that physical copy.

Going to a DAW has a lot of advantages, and vastly increases your capabilities, but some people just don't like that work environment. I don't use Apple, so I can't comment on Garage Band, but is seems to be a decent basic recording system from what I have read. I went with Reaper, which is cheap to buy ($60), has a ton of support, and is really powerful.

Also, some of the hardware recorders can be used as an interface, so you get some of both worlds.

In the end, I wound up with both systems. A Zoom R-24 recorder (great for portable recording) and a Tascam US 16x08 interface/PC/Reaper setup.

I switched from open reel recorders to DAW about 15 years ago and never looked back. Like @TalismanRich said, there are some who still prefer hardware recorders so that's something only you can decide. I use a laptop with Reaper so my system is quite portable and I move it around on a regular basis and the HP laptop I have has an internal CD player/recorder so I can record direct to CD if I want. You can also hook up an external CD player/recorder to a computer if that's something you need.

Thanks you guys for all of your input. I am going to do some research in to the information you have all given me. I very much appreciate it!

Marco62

It's taken me some time to research all of this, but as of this morning I've come to a decision. I hope it was the right one because I paid for it. I decided on a DP24sd. This is way more than a replacement for my DP-01. I looked at DP-03s, Dp08ex, etc. I found a DP-24SD used for pretty close to the same price as a new DP-03SD. I decided that I didn't want to mess with a DAW. I get frustrated printing things from the computer, so it didn't seem like a good fit for me. I hope I haven't jumped in over my head. Ive been reading the thread about the correct SD cards. I have a question about that but will post it over there. Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it very much. Do any of you know if there is a way, or a reason I would want to tether the DP01- FX/CD to the DP24sd? Just a thought.

I think you made a good decision, its always helpful to have some extra tracks. The prices on those are really good.
Ive never needed 24 tracks. Suppose your type music will determine that. I dont see any reason you'd need the old stuff.
You might want to learn how to dump your files to your computer which might be a start in learning some more computer skills that will benefit you.
My oldest brother was not a -computer generation and didnt like them, but learned the file transfers from the 2488Tascam and said it was easy once you do it 100 times.
enjoy, sounds like fun to upgrade from a 01 to the 24.

Hey Marco62......I'm not trying to worry you or give you reason to doubt your purchase but you mentioned that you bought the DP-24 used. I have a DP-24 that I used for many years before going to a DAW. These days I use the DP-24 as a mixer.

Over the years the buttons on the DP-24 have become very "iffy". They work...and then sometimes they need several pushes to work. This is a rather common reported issue after a lot of use or age. I don't know how old or how used the unit you're buying is....but one of the very first thing you need to do is test all the buttons and funtions as best you can.

Mick

Hey Marco62......I'm not trying to worry you or give you reason to doubt your purchase but you mentioned that you bought the DP-24 used. I have a DP-24 that I used for many years before going to a DAW. These days I use the DP-24 as a mixer.

Over the years the buttons on the DP-24 have become very "iffy". They work...and then sometimes they need several pushes to work. This is a rather common reported issue after a lot of use or age. I don't know how old or how used the unit you're buying is....but one of the very first thing you need to do is test all the buttons and funtions as best you can.

Mick
It's not a perfect solution - but if there are any button issues some users have reported good results by working in some Deoxit from the top. Opening these machines up is quite a task.

As I do pretty consistently - I highly recommend that new users to the DP-24/32(SD) consider getting a solid handle on their new recorder by taking a look at the following resources:

I understand that they're not for everyone - but these are excellent portastudios - capable of making high quality multi-track recordings.

Thanks all of you! My recorder is supposed to arrive tomorrow so I will know about what I dont know then.I appreciate all your suggestions and input. Thanks!

Back