equipment noise when recording?

spikey

Ok, i figure i will tell you about my setup first. I have a behringer xenyx 2222fx board which is plugged into a power conditioner, i run the mic's into the board, mix the sound, get everything sounding right, then send it to the rca outs, the rca cables take it to a box that sends it out through usb, i plug this into my laptop which is running kristal audio engine, and i record the sound with that application. My problem is when i record it sounds like i am getting alot of noise from the equipment cause its not like, people rustling around in the background or anything, i can upload some of the recordings somewhere if anyone would care to listen. im just wondering what it is coming from, and how/if i can fix it. thanks guys!

At the moment we dont have anything fancy, im hoping to invest in a couple behringer b-5's and some sm57's but right now i have a load of dynamic microphones, and one of them i think is a condensor microphone but im not positive, it seems to sound alot better for some of the things i use it for.

How long are the RCAs? Mic cables? If they are short and well shielded it might be the grounding. Good luck! :D

Hi,

All electrical equipment has a degree of self noise. The more "affordable" the equipment is, the more...

But the above suggestions are excellent: balanced input and outputs, where possible, track down and cure any ground loops (much easier said than done), and minimise input chain. Read about gain-staging as well - lots of resource out there.

Cheers

i read an article considering RCA's while ago and it told to use as short lines as possible to prevent noise.. that's why i stick to XLR's in vocal recording.

ok, i think im going to read about gain staging then, and the rca lines about 1 foot, but i tie them up so they shorter, keep it tidy, but maybe thats a problem too? umm, for mics, we have mixed stuff, xlr inputs, and plugs, the cable to the vocal room is about 50 ft the others are about twenty, all stretched out, the equipment isnt too affordable, the mixer was about 450 i believe, not positive. no cables are crossing ac lines, probably grounding, i think i will have my father come up there sometime and take a look, he was an electrician in a submarine, so it will proly be easier to have him walk me through it, thank you for your replies guys!

Back