Equal volume levels in mastering

Pillarofdusk

I have an album finished, mixed and mastered, but I'm missing one step. How do I increase the physical waveform of quieter parts from loud parts (like acoustic compared to electric)? Here is an example of a track, with different variations in height of waveform:
itnerzone.PNG

My tracks are in order in an audio montage using Wavelab.

Record the acoustic guitar as loud as the electric.

Of course....then the quiet parts will be just as loud as the loud parts.

If there are still things to fix then it isn't finished, mixed and mastered. Don't get too hung up on how it looks. That's useful information, but what's more important is how it sounds. Does it sound okay to you?

If there are still things to fix then it isn't finished, mixed and mastered. Don't get too hung up on how it looks. That's useful information, but what's more important is how it sounds. Does it sound okay to you?

It sounds great, except a few parts are too quiet. So, what am I to do, on some parts where it sounds too quiet, chop, and raise the level? I don't want to export all these mixes again.

Er, why don't you want to export the mix again? Surely that's a button push and a 30 second job (unless Wavelab is a whole lot less capable than every other DAW I know).

Seriously, if you insist on working with your existing mix your option is to use compression to knock down the top levels, then make up gain to bring everything back up. However, be aware that this will be affecting everything in the mix.

By far the better option is to go back to the mix and either add compression/make up gain to the quiet track or (my preference) simply MIX the quiet bits to a higher level then re-export it.

Finally, a big +1 for those who say "don't worry about how the waveform looks". Hit play, close your eyes and listen. Only your ears can tell you if something is too quiet or not.

Last edited:
He best way would be to go back to the mix and turn the quiet parts up.

In wavelab, there is a volume bar in each of the songs. If you click on it, it create a node that you can drag up and down to adjust the volume in a certain area. You will need to create a node at the beginning and of a loud part, and another two inside the quiet part. drag the two inside ones up in volume until it sounds right.

It sounds great, except a few parts are too quiet. So, what am I to do, on some parts where it sounds too quiet, chop, and raise the level? I don't want to export all these mixes again.

Food for thought- 1) How (or did you?) mix with out level changes previously(?

2) If you're going to make any changes whether in a 'master' proj or not, in either case they will have to be re-rendered.
So now isn't it interesting that this 'mastering phase' has led you to discover these -issues- :rolleyes: Well, fear not. It's actually a fairly natural common occurance - the songs in context, and begining now to see you may still need to up the game' a bit :D
Now since you have the option to do either- 'fix in mastering, or go back to the mix, take stock, and decide which (on a song to song bassis- it doesn't have to be all or none) where to go next.

There are several ways to make that part louder, the best of which is to go back to the mix and adjust things at the track level.

If you're happy with the mix, why are you messing with it because of how it looks?

If you're NOT happy with the mix, fix the mix.

Music isn't about everything being the same volume... Or is it... Or isn't it... Dynamics and contrast are usually a nice thing. Or are they...

Hey John....

Just wanted to say that in the closed "volume" thread...the part about people who hang on HR but never post any music...
...it doesn't really apply to guys like you who obviously have entire websites that already "show your wares". :)

Hey John....

Just wanted to say that in the closed "volume" thread...the part about people who hang on HR but never post any music...
...it doesn't really apply to guys like you who obviously have entire websites that already "show your wares". :)

Agreed. I thought that too, but didn't say anything.

Hey John....

I agree. I should have said something about that before I closed the thread.

I don't want to export all these mixes again.

hmmm . . . that's probably not the best way of using your time. It is probably easier and more satisfying to remix and re-render, rather mess around with something that's not satisfactory, and ending up with something that's forced to be more satisfactory.

Back