eq'ing toms and snare

hitman

can anyone help me with my ears? i have a yamaha kit (like Carter...you know who), and i've just entered the digital experience (vs 1880) but my toms go "poooonnngg" in the playback. i want them to go "doooom" like my ears hear them aurally. is it a mid-sweep technique, or a compression thing? also my snare (another expensive thing) goes "paaahnnng" instead of "craaah" like i hear it. i use akg c418's on the toms and sm57 on snare.

hit.

I believe tuning is your problem. To tune a tom you place a finger in the center of the tom and tap each tuning lug so that they are all in tune with each other - doing opposites helps. Once the skin is evenly in tune take one lug and slowly detune it whilst hitting the tom you will hear a point where the drum starts to drop in pitch after being hit - I think that's what you are refering to as the dooooom!!

yes yes, i know what you're talking about. I actually have been using that selfsame technique on only my second tom (i have 4) it never occurred to me to try it with the others (du-duh?!). thanks I'll try it and reply it! get it?

hit.

Back