EQing prior to firepod

shred_head said:
I agree the artifacting does bother me a bit. Is there any way around destroying the originals by putting it through analog EQ's? and being able to put it through after the recording has been made.
It really all comes down to "cost vs. benefit"; i.e. at what point do the costs in conversion become too high to justify the benefit of the outboard EQ. That depends upon three main things; the actual quality benefit of the EQ, the quality of your converters, and how often you use that chain.

The easiest but most expensive way is to use top-shelf converters; then the issue becomes almost nin-existant. An alternative here would be yo use the Firepod for basic tracking and have an additional one or two channels of high-grade converters for "gold channel" tracking (vocals, pianos, etc.) or for lots of re-conversion like we're talking.

On the other hand, if you are just coming out to go to the EQ once for one or two tracks (or for 2mix mastering), then - assuming you have an EQ that's worth the trip, the re-conversion through the Firepod probably won't be bad.

Where the build-up can become audible is in the build-up. This can be in the form of multiple generations of re-conversion, where the artifacting can build up rather like tape hiss can build up over bounces. Even then, sometimes the cost is worth it *IF* you're EQ is worth that cost. It can also come in the form of build-up over tracks. This would be much like the "build up" of sound that can sometimes be had by using the same mics and mic pres on multiple tracks, where the "sound" of the gear get's a homogenous tone to it. There, obvioulsy, the greater the number of tracks and the more generations of conversion per track, the more audible the artifacting.

I'd personally recommend a nice balance. Use the outboard EQ judiciously; save it for the 2mix and use it during mixing only hwen the particular characteristics of that EQ are not just warranted, but definitely advantageous. I can understand to a degree your desire to not use many plugs in the box, ans many of them are of dubious quality, but there *are* many EQ plugs that are actually quite good. Additionally, every EQ - internal or exteranl - has it's strong suits and it's weak suits. I personally often wind up using several different EQs on one mix, depending upon the task at hand. I'd open up a little bit and not depend upon a single EQ to do all the work for you, even if it is a $3000 Manley tube box.
shred_head said:
It sounds like your configuration is somewhat set up like how I am planning mine. Is your signal path set up with the EQ before the MOTU (recording the EQ'd signal?)
It depends entirely on how I patch things in. I am using a rather unconventional but quite easy set up in that I do not have any normalled signal path through the patch bay. I'm really just using it as "I/O central" for my rack gear, with nothing pre-connected. Then I just patch together what I want how I want like an old-fashoned telephone operator connecting incoming and outgoaing calls to different phone extensions.

Here's my actual patch bay layout. I have a 1U 24x2 Neutrik patch bay at the bottom of my rack. The devices/channels are laid out on the patch bay like this (with the top row for the device/channel outs and the bottom row for the device/channel ins):

1-2: DA-30 DAT L/R
3-10: ADAT-XT 1-8
11-12: QuadraVerb 2 L/R
13-14: Pro VLA compression 1-2
15-16: dbx 2215 EQ/Limiter/NR 1-2
17-24: MOTU 2408 analog 1-8*
*I also have ADAT lightpipe from ADAT as well as S/PDIF from the DAT going into the back of the 2408.

My mobile mixer (1604VLZ) sits on top of the rack (it's not mounted in in this case), and I use 6' color-coded snakes to run out from the mixer and into the bottom row of the front patch bay as needed/desired. I can then go straight to ADAT or straight to the MOTU (or any combination) just by plugging into their respective patch bay ins. Or I can build an intermediate chain in any order I want by simply patching the chain together right on the patch panel with short patch cables. This also allows me to use the processing as channel inserts on the mixer by running insert cables from the mixer to the patch bay instead of the standard snakes.

All it really is is a neat and organized way of being able to wire any and all the gear I want in the order I want without having to climb on my knees behind the rack with a flashlight and an assortment of spaghetti cables. Instead all the I/O I need is right here in the 1U patch bay; fully flexible, easy to get to, easy to modify on the fly, easy to see at a glance how it's wired, and easy to keep straight and neat.

G.

ya i basically want to do any major eqing outboard...then any mastering of the tracks (fine tuning, i may just use cubase sx's)

or else just keep re-equing the track over and over till I get it right outboard...

know of a EQ that would be good in my situation...for eqing guitar/drums/vox under or around the $400 mark?
also what are some decent plugs for Cubase as you mentioned for doing some EQ..maybe if I just found some other ones that arn't too bad, i'll forget about all the A/D/A/D ing

without reading the last 1/2 of this topic, i'd say that your money is probably going to be better spent on a quality EQ plugin than on a cheap mixer, and for the following reasons:

a)the EQ on the cheap mixer probably won't be that great

b)the preamps on the cheap mixer may very well be lower quality than those of your firepod

c)the less steps involved in your signal chain the better

d)you'll be stuck with whatever EQ decisions you make, which can really suck when things aren't fitting together the way you like

so I guess over all everybody just agree's i'm better off to just use some eq plugs on cubase then go post processed?

if so then what eq plugs should I use besides the built in SX ones

shred_head said:
so I guess over all everybody just agree's i'm better off to just use some eq plugs on cubase then go post processed?

if so then what eq plugs should I use besides the built in SX ones
I highly recommend the Uniquel-izer from Roger Nichols Digital:

http://www.rogernicholsdigital.com/Uniquel-izer.htm

I have last year's version of this from Elemental Audio, the company who's product line has been since bought out and re-labled by Riger Nichols, and this is definitely a main go-to EQ for me. Neutral-sounding and *extremely* powerful and flexible. Not one of the cheapest plugs out there, but also not the most expensive by a longshot. A good example of getting something worth what it costsr, IMHO. There is a 14-day free trial version available if you want to decide for yourself.

On the other end of the price spectrum is the "Classic EQ" available free from Kjaerhus Audio (http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php). A simple 7-band, 2 channel graphic EQ with a nice natural sound, good for general track shaping.

G.

so general opinion.........worth going outboard for eqing....?
especially since i'm going to have to convert back to analog to eq it, then back to digital?

as well what would be a good outboard EQ to use for my application

and as well, could connecting everything through a patch bay...significantly affect the signal, provided it is a new bay, and not something off of the bottom of the ocean?
will there be any affect?

shred_head said:
and as well, could connecting everything through a patch bay...significantly affect the signal, provided it is a new bay, and not something off of the bottom of the ocean?
will there be any affect?
Not to worry. While it's always good to keep a signal path as short as possible, and the number of connections as short as possible, good cables connected to a good patchbay will have a negligable and likely inaudible effect on your signal and *if* - a big *IF* - it did have any effect, it would be so small as to be completly swamped by the positive aspects of having one.

G.

Posts like this rule

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Here's my actual patch bay layout. I have a 1U 24x2 Neutrik patch bay at the bottom of my rack. The devices/channels are laid out on the patch bay like this (with the top row for the device/channel outs and the bottom row for the device/channel ins):

1-2: DA-30 DAT L/R
3-10: ADAT-XT 1-8
11-12: QuadraVerb 2 L/R
13-14: Pro VLA compression 1-2
15-16: dbx 2215 EQ/Limiter/NR 1-2
17-24: MOTU 2408 analog 1-8*
*I also have ADAT lightpipe from ADAT as well as S/PDIF from the DAT going into the back of the 2408.

My mobile mixer (1604VLZ) sits on top of the rack (it's not mounted in in this case), and I use 6' color-coded snakes to run out from the mixer and into the bottom row of the front patch bay as needed/desired. I can then go straight to ADAT or straight to the MOTU (or any combination) just by plugging into their respective patch bay ins. Or I can build an intermediate chain in any order I want by simply patching the chain together right on the patch panel with short patch cables. This also allows me to use the processing as channel inserts on the mixer by running insert cables from the mixer to the patch bay instead of the standard snakes.

All it really is is a neat and organized way of being able to wire any and all the gear I want in the order I want without having to climb on my knees behind the rack with a flashlight and an assortment of spaghetti cables. Instead all the I/O I need is right here in the 1U patch bay; fully flexible, easy to get to, easy to modify on the fly, easy to see at a glance how it's wired, and easy to keep straight and neat.

G.

Thanks, SSG

Back