Eq

Magnum Pi

Anyone have a suggestion for a good all-around EQ for under $200? I'm mainly looking for something to add to the chain for mixdown.

Thanks.

Check evilbay for an old urei or jbl eq...new stuff in that price range is pretty crappy..I have an Ashly in my live rig that is pretty good but I wouldn't use it in the studio..

Cheers,
Ray

Come on everyone!!! All you gearheads and recording gurus on this forum and only ONE person has an opinion?!? I'm looking for an EQ under $200.00 to hopefully pull double duty and EQ one track via inserts and/or entire mix via being added to the mixdown chain. Any ideas?????

Thanks!

ocnor said:
Using an EQ on an entire mix is called "Turd Polishing".

So I guess the Pultec program EQ is a turd polisher? Man those turd polishers are expensive. Same with the Sontec and Weiss? I guess when it comes down to it, Bob Ludwig, Bob Katz, and all those other so called "mastering engineers" are really just glorified turd polishers.

OK, in all fairness, maybe a $200 EQ on the mix buss is a turd polisher, but I have to take issue with the general statement. sorry...

In that price range look for a DBX 242 (or two if you need more than one channel). Designed by Robert Orban. Perhaps the best of the Project 1 DBX series. Discontinued of course but available on e-bay periodically. They run @$125-150. Very decent inexpensive EQ (I have a pair). Next step up is a Speck for more $$. Moddable. I recollect that Orban has commented on this item (he thought it was pretty good) and suggested some possible mods on the Gearslutz board.

Pohaku beat me to it, the dbx242 is an excellent EQ. Actually, Harvey Gerst turned me on to those things and I've got a pair anyhow. They just work great on tons of stuff, very versatile.

That being said a lot of the Rane stuff is good as well, for not too much dough.

$200 is a little light in the budget for a pair though, which of course you will need for a stereo mix. I found a pair of dbx242 for $250 in mint shape on eBay like 2 years ago?

Those little EQ3B from Presonus aren't bad really, and within range.

War

While I'm thinking about it, another low cost option is the Symetrix SX201 parametric EQ. Another discontinued, but well built, Symetrix product. Not as versatile as the DBX, but cheap. Three band but no shelving. Half rack size so you will need a rack shelf. Maybe @$60-75 a channel on e-bay - sometimes cheaper. Make sure you get the right wallwart with it or you will need to buy a new power unit (they aren't that expensive, but it's a pain). Also makes a nice portable live unit paired with an SX202 mic pre.

Back