eq suggestions?

Fancy said:
This is raw, without effects at this point. I'll be adding vocals next but I'd like to fine tune the instumental before moving forward. Don't hold back.

www.soundclick.com/katefancy
It sounds decent enough as it is at the moment and if I were you I wouldn't be overly concerned with fine tuning it until you have recorded all of your tracks and then you can determine what it may or may not need to make it fit the mix.

Ignore me. It isn't like me to offer advice!

The only thing I can see is that your drums are out in front of everything. The kick is drowning out the bass.

It sounds interesting. I can't wait to hear it with the vocals.

Rokket said:
The only thing I can see is that your drums are out in front of everything. The kick is drowning out the bass.

It sounds interesting. I can't wait to hear it with the vocals.
Yeah, you're right. Thanks!

Drums back a bit EQ your bass so it has some space - maybe wipe of some of it's bottom so it doesn't compete with the bass drum & boost it's high mids =- say 3k a bit.
Don't get to sorted though in this mix before adding some vocals as they'll mean a whole new set of EQing & stereo imaging to fit in.
Sounds OK overall but there's a need for something to occasionally lift it out of bacing land - a solo, a feature space for the bass etc.
I look forward to hearing more.

It's dark and unusual, and I like it. A little more string definition on the bass perhaps - a little something sparkly to go on top, and it's good to go.

i like the progression. looking forward to hearing it with the vocals.

i agree with everything that's already been said and the guitar sound is a bit zingy for my taste (maybe not yours). are you using mshilarious's mics? maybe try mixing a dynamic mic in.

Yeah this will be cool with vocals. I didn't think the drums were too loud. I'd put a low cut on the guitars to give the bass some room and compress it a bit more..I like the tune, real nice progressions

I have difficulty knowing what to do with EQ or anything until the vocs are in place, it has a way of making everything shift. Performances are all solid, no obvious problems to me with the tracks themselves so get the vocs in and see where it's at.

I think it's sounding pretty cool....nothing to add that you might already be checking.

The vibe of the tune is great....sort of dark, but interesting. (whatever that means... :D )

Should wind up being a cool tune.

I'd try giving the ac gtrs a 2 dB boost with a high shelf at 6 kHz. It'll give them more sparkle without making the 3-4 kHz range hotter, which can make ac gtr sound edgy. And maybe a wide 1-2 dB cut around 200-300 Hz.

Wow, this is really cool. It sounds like a long lost Elliott Smith/Heatmiser track. I don't have any additional mix comments that haven't been covered. I like that little whistly thing. Can't wait to hear it with vocals.

Thanks! I love Elliott Smith actually. Yeah, there's probably some influence there.

I just finished applying Timothy Lawler's tips, and it was much improved, and I was about to start working on the others' suggestions. Then I had a major audio accident. I blew up the high end on both monitor speakers, my eardrums, and I think all the hair fell off my cat. Dammit!!! :(

Fancy said:
I just finished applying Timothy Lawler's tips, and it was much improved, and I was about to start working on the others' suggestions. Then I had a major audio accident. I blew up the high end on both monitor speakers, my eardrums, and I think all the hair fell off my cat.
My future mix suggestions will include a disclaimer that I assume no responsibility for exploding monitor speakers, hearing or pet loss that may occur, hah. :p

Back