EQ Shaping/Sweeping tutorial video.

Hi there, good quality video and you explain everything very clearly. I can tell your series of vids is going to be helpful for a lot of people out there starting out.

My main critique though (a constructive one), is that you just took liberty of boosting a high shelf without actually listening to it and then moved on to the next frequency range. Same with how you cut out the lows without really listening to it. Perhaps you do this because your thinking it just "looks" right on the graph and because of the mentality of "well I cut this frequency out, so I should make up for it here". However, I understand your logic and that everyone might use different eq techniques.

All in all though, you did a great job at demonstrating how to sweep around with a narrow q to find the offending frequencies. And that was the real purpose of the video, so yeah!

On a side note, I remember watching a video showing this, but the guy was sweeping around with a super wide q, and obviously he very easily found a large range of ugly somewhere in the mids. Once he found the wide ugly range, he didn't narrow it to really focus on only removing a specific frequency, but rather kept it all wide and scooped a whole bunch out. Which in theory will just leave your track empty and hollow sounding, since he's removing some frequencies that don't need to be removed!

Hi there, good quality video and you explain everything very clearly. I can tell your series of vids is going to be helpful for a lot of people out there starting out.

My main critique though (a constructive one), is that you just took liberty of boosting a high shelf without actually listening to it and then moved on to the next frequency range. Same with how you cut out the lows without really listening to it. Perhaps you do this because your thinking it just "looks" right on the graph and because of the mentality of "well I cut this frequency out, so I should make up for it here". However, I understand your logic and that everyone might use different eq techniques.

All in all though, you did a great job at demonstrating how to sweep around with a narrow q to find the offending frequencies. And that was the real purpose of the video, so yeah!

On a side note, I remember watching a video showing this, but the guy was sweeping around with a super wide q, and obviously he very easily found a large range of ugly somewhere in the mids. Once he found the wide ugly range, he didn't narrow it to really focus on only removing a specific frequency, but rather kept it all wide and scooped a whole bunch out. Which in theory will just leave your track empty and hollow sounding, since he's removing some frequencies that don't need to be removed!

Boosting the high end freq was probably something I should have listened out for. I exaggerated the boost as an example, but I get where you're coming from. Obviously the same with the low end. What I usually do, is get the harsh frequencies out the way first; then alter the rest of the EQ to what sounds good to my ears (sometimes using more than one EQ on the one track.) I use the bypass button frequently to make sure the changes I make are actually improving the track, which I find to be ignored used by some engineers today.

Yeah thinning the Q really helps alot I think to pinpoint the location of the harsh frequencies, rather than using a super wide q and finding a general area.

I try to image an equalizer as a massive paintbrush for shaping and adding detail to an audio file. The wider the Q, the harder it is to shape and detail (kind of like a watercolor brush), whereas the thinner it is the more detailed you can be with shaping...maybe a silly analogy but it works; sort of.

Back