EQ settings

grkblood13

Hey, I recently purchased pro tools, a baby bottle blue mic, and a presonus eureka compressor. myt question is going to be somewhat vague. I previously used coo edit and was using some preset EQ settings i found on the web. Now I am back to square one being that Ive been out of the loop for a while and was never a wiz. Can any1 tell me some good settings and which EQ to use in pro tools. Maybe some general guidelines if anything. I tried playing around with the settings and didn't really learn anything valueable. Thanks in advance. By the way, this setup will be used for rap.

... I tried playing around with the settings and didn't really learn anything valueable.
That only means you haven't done it enough.
You're looking for the connection of ear and eq. Spend time proceding on two fronts; Time listening, carefully questioning and learning what tones need to change, and time listening pushing the frequency bands.
Then the two come together. :)

The search function...
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=256582

If you don't know what you're listening for, what good is a preset going to be? That doesn't make any sense... Presets generally don't make any sense...

Unless you have a track that seems a little brittle by a half dB at 2.6kHz and you have a preset that says "Reduce brittleness at 2.6kHz by .5dB" -- But if you knew that, you'd just dip 2.6kHz by a half dB.

If you just start throwing presets around, you're chasing your tail.

You are right Massive, and as i stated I am not an expert. I just suggested the pre sets to play around with a mix from a starting point. I started learning that way, and it has helped me just to understand what i was actually doing to the sound. But I deffinetely dont throw presets into any of my mixes:)

It's possible that I am becoming slightly jaded:D

Pro-tools has the only eq preset that is worth a shit.
Adjust your recording enviroment and technique to that preset as much as possible and you'll have it made.

Invest in a couple good books before your next gear purchase and you'll be money ahead.

Good Luck

F.S.

Hey, I recently purchased pro tools, a baby bottle blue mic, and a presonus eureka compressor.

I wouldn't EQ the Baby Bottle at all. Just push the fader up. I have recorded 3 vocalists using the BB and didn't use EQ at all. Now, one of the vocalists doesn't want to record with any other mic... the other lives way out of town, and the 3rd was me...

Back