EQ Rackmount

Kevzmusic

Yo,

I'm contemplating getting an external rack EQ unit to use with my XTPRO guitar processor for live work, etc...so, I'd like some suggestions please.

What external EQ systems do you guys use in your racks?

For my 'direct' recording I have ample VST EQ plugins via Cubase SX (ie: WAVES, etc)...so, I'm covered there, but for playing live, I will use the XTPRO with a power amp/cab, but need an external EQ, coz I won't be hooked up to any PC, etc.

I'd like something that offers both a 31 band graphic and a parametric EQ - if possible....for say, around $5-600 bucks or so.

So far I've read the info on:

Behringer Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496
Presonas DEQ624 Stereo Graphic
Alesis DEQ230D
Alesis DEQ830 Programmable Digital
dbx 2231 Dual 31-Band Graphic Equalizer

The Line6 XTPRO has really good base sounds to work with, but like anything (modeller or real amp), it needs a little bit of EQ 'fine tune' in order to get those tones really spot on....

Any recommendations?

Cheers,

KEV

For live work you might be better off getting an analog eq. I'm assuming you only need one channel. Also, for tone work on your guitar you might be better off with a parametric. I'm not sure I've ever seen a graphic and parametric in one unit.

Suggestions in addition to the DBX 242: Speck ASC, Rane PE-15 or PE-17, Clark Technic (DN something or other I think), I believe there are also Symetrix and Ashly units worth looking at.

Last edited:
SonicAlbert said:
For live work you might be better off getting an analog eq. I'm assuming you only need one channel. Also, for tone work on your guitar you might be better off with a parametric. I'm not sure I've ever seen a graphic and parametric in one unit.

Suggestions in addition to the DBX 242: Speck ASC, Rane PE-15 or PE-17, Clark Technic (DN something or other I think), I believe there are alos Symetrix and Ashly units worth looking at.

The Behringer DEQ2496 has both graphic & para, plus a ton of other features including a 61 band RTA....but I'm apprehensive about buying their gear, and for $300, what can one really expect - quality wise.

KEV

The Behringer DEQ2496 is on my Christmas list for Santa. A box arrived yesterday (I guess Santa drives a brown truck these days), but I have to wait until Christmas morning to open it and see what it is!

I don't have too high expectations for the DEQ2496, but I really only want to use it for the RTA and metering, and doubt I'll run signal through it.

somehow i doubt it would be worth your time.

are you gonna do those little eq tweaks over by your amp while you play? or are you gonna go out in the house and figure out how your tweaks affect the sound in different places in the club? how about when the audience arrives and totally changes the sound of the space?

i firmly believe that you are past the point of diminishing returns here. you might do more harm than good with an external eq. unless you are coordinating with some sort of sound person... a sound person you trust... and can get to all your gigs.

put your $500 in a plane ticket to somewhere nice.

put your $500 in a plane ticket to somewhere nice.

After travelling the globe for 20+ years, visiting about 75 countries and living on 5 different continents, I've already been to 'most' nice places I wanna see.

Now, I just spend my money on music/gear :)

Actually, I'd use the EQ rack for home recording and live gear...
I like to fine tune EQ any guitar tone, to get the 'source' tone as good as possible.....Whatever 'live' variable there may be after that, is anybody's guess, but at least I start from the right place, etc.

If you Know WOT I mean, Jimi! :)

KEV

Last edited:
Back