EQ question.

Zachyboy4

I am trying to EQ vocals into a song. and i start having trouble getting it to fit. the question is how can i eq a track (doing only cutting), and get the volume i want?

it seems like i can't cut the frequencies i want (mostly the lower frequencies) out without making the overall track too quiet, and when i turn the track up the frequencies i do want (the higher) are to loud.

Im thinking that i just not doing things in the proper order.

btw, I am compressing the F out of this track, i think i set the threshold to like -28.

thnx

You should be able to make up any eq gain loss with the eq plugin gain. Try a high pass filter at 80 to 150.
That sound like way too much comp. 2 to 4 db on a vocal unless you are going after an effect. If the vocal in the mix isnt loud enough, turn everything else down?
Consider re cutting the vocal, move the mic around until u get the sound you want.

What order do you have the eq and compression? If you're applying aggressive eq then it works best before the compressor.

What I do is decide what my "reference" frequency range is and set that to the mix, and then eq the rest of track to fit. For example, I'll listen to just the 1-4kHz range in the vocal and mix that to the 1-4kHz range of the other instruments, then eq the stuff below 1kHz and above 4kHz to fit. It does take some disciplined listening skills.

I am cutting it in the mix. not solo'd. and It doesn't sound wonderful without the compression. ill try it though. and i have the comp. first in line. then eq. but ill switch them and try it out.

Ill have him rerecord a little farther from the mic and see if i can't clear up some of the boomy tones I'm trying to get rid of. thats a good idea.

The problem with doing aggressive eq after the compressor is that the compressor is still reacting to the frequencies you cut, especially LF.

I am cutting it in the mix. not solo'd. and It doesn't sound wonderful without the compression. ill try it though. and i have the comp. first in line. then eq. but ill switch them and try it out.

Ill have him rerecord a little farther from the mic and see if i can't clear up some of the boomy tones I'm trying to get rid of. thats a good idea.

Yes - you could have some proximity effect at work here..

also, try eq'ing without any compression in the mix, especially if you're multiband compressing because it can obscure the problem you're trying to fix.

Yeah, I try to record with a clean (unprocessed/un-EQ'd) signal as possible then do all that int he mix

Back