EQ question

are you trying to run it so that you can fade in/out the EQ? if so then you could run it like an effect through aux channels, but depending on the unit youre using you might end up with some pretty nasty feedback... cant say its something ive ever tried, but good luck

Ok, Right now in the rack we have 2 amps and now the newly bought EQ. Its a peavey that has the feedback finder. We are just using one amp for the moment....and we are bridging it and daisy chaining the 2 speakers we have. But the only thing is that the EQ is just a single 31 band...and most the stuff we had going was the stereo... Does anyone have a better set up than Mixer-Amps-Speakers and the EQ in there? We just thought if we ran it as an Effect....and set the effect level all the way up on each channel... Thanks in advance, I hope that helped a lil bit

well its mainly for live stuff....our monitor system is different...is there a way to make it go to the mains and monitors?

If you want it across the sum of all channel (ie at the main outs) then you're best to put it in the main inserts, if your board has them... if not, then it totally depends on the routing capability of the board.

Whatever you do, you definitely DON'T want to loop back the EQ output if coming from the main outs back into the board -- you'll get an instant feedback loop.

I have Stereo Return A Left and Right , B Left and Right and Aux Effects Out A and B...i just dunno how to do it all

EQ is typically an INLINE effect -- meaning it is placed in series within a signal path, so your AUX feeds won't be much help (since they will parallel the signal chain).......

You really need to you INSERT connections - either on channel busses, or main inserts on the main outputs....

What board are you using?

The only way you could strap it in the main out is between the main out of the Peavey and the line input of the power amp.... there's no main inserts on that particular board.

Any reason that you have to run stereo ?

Most PA's I've put together and run over the years have been mono.. !!

well no...not really....we are thinking about getting more speakers soon and want to chain the amps together to get the max power...how can we do that?

mm2k5,
Ok, Right now in the rack we have 2 amps and now the newly bought EQ. Its a peavey that has the feedback finder. We are just using one amp for the moment....and we are bridging it and daisy chaining the 2 speakers we have.

IF this is the setup you have on your PA right now, you're not running stereo - a bridged amp runs mono - regardless of whether you have left/right inputs or a single source. If your speakers are daisy-chained from the bridged amp - you are definitely NOT running in stereo.

BTW - you cannot really run your EQ as an insert effect... it should be between the board and the amp(s).

Here's what I would do.... come out of the board (this is based on the Peavey RQ2300 series mixers) using the mono output. This is basically just a summed left/right output, but in mono. Run that signal line into your new EQ (you didn't say what kind). From the EQ run into your bridged amp input. Check the amp manual, but it should accept a single line in.

If you can provide more equipment details, (make, model) for the EQ, amps (wattage and impedance) and speakers (wattage and impedance), I can give you more detailed setup info (email me)

A word [or two] of caution.... PA-101 class here !!

make sure your bridged amp output impedance matches your speaker impedance. ???? Since your speakers are daisy chained off a bridged ouput, you need to know both the amp output wattage/impedance and your speaker impedance/wattage,a nd whether they are chained in parallel or series. I ask becasue more speakers are blown because of UNDER-powered or OVER-driven amps than any other reason.

Example. (this gets complicated AND technical, so be patient pls.)
Say you have 2, 8 Ohm speakers (say 300w RMS, 600w peak) daisy-chained. If parallel'd, the total impedance back at the amp is 8 + 8 = 16 ohms. If series, it is (8 + 8)/2 = 8 ohms.

Lets also say your bridged amp puts out 200w @ 16 ohms, 400w @ 8 ohms, 600w @ 4 ohms and 750w @ 2 Ohms.

Then, for the speakers in parallel, you are only putting a maximum of 200w into 2 speakers rated at 300w each. In series, you are putting 400w into 2 speakers rated at 300w each. The latter of these two is the better.

Look at it this way. .... you have 2 speakers at 300 watts each - 8 ohms. Wired in series you have 8 ohms and 600w (combined). In parallel, 16 ohms, 600 w. You will need an amp that will put out somewhere close to 600w bridged at either 8 or 16 ohms impedance to ensure you don't under power your speakers.

Check the clip light on your amp when you play... if it flashes (even occasionally), your amp is being over driven, and does not have enough power for the connected speakers. When your amp clips, it basically shuts it self off - momentarily. This in turn causes the AC signal being sent to the speaker to change to DC - momentarily. Think of the hot plate on your oven. DC signal to speakers basically acts like turning on a hot plate. It causes the the coils to overheat, melts the seals and ka-bloom. Blown speakers.

Once you understand the basics, it's not really that complicated.
Hope this didn't confuse you too much.
Regards,
Steve

Yes I know bridged means its in mono..i just forgot to say it WAS stereo until i got that EQ, then we hooked it up bridged

Here's kinda what we have. The singer took 2 more of them speaker cabs so we're probably lookin to replace them.

1-Mixer-Peavey 2002RQ 24 Channel

1-EQ-Peavey QF131 each band with an feedback LED

2-Amps-Peavey PV1500 1500 watts RMS in 4 ohms when Bridged 750 a side other wise.

2 speakers- Peavey TLS4 800 Watt program/1600 Watts peak 4 Ohms -Two 15 inch Sheffield® Pro 1500 HO™ woofers with 2.5 inch voice coils

Edit: Can you tell we are fans of Peavey?!

S0C9 said:
BTW - you cannot really run your EQ as an insert effect...
Of course you can, an in-line INSERT is EXACTLY the way you use EQ.... what you DON'T do is run EQ via an AUX effect send.

S0C9 said:
it should be between the board and the amp(s).
That IS using EQ as an INSERT......

Anytime you place a piece of gear in-line between two other pieces of gear, that's an INSERT. You're confusing AUX Sends (which parallel the source) with INSERTS which run in series (or inline).

Blue,
actually, I'm not confusing anything, and you are obviously quibbling over terminology... :)

Technically, I suppose you are correct in your definition of an "insert", but in all my years of running sound, I've NEVER heard an EQ (between board and PA) referred to as an insert.

Inserts (from my frame of reference) have always been at the channel level - and - anyone who does this stuff for a living that I've ever met does not refer to devices run from AUX sends as inserts either. I would guess that's to prevent confusion between channel inserts (such as side-chain conpression), AUX sends (effect processors), and post mixer processors (EQ's, RTA's, X-overs, etc.).

However, feel free to use your terminology.... !

mm2k5 said:
Yes I know bridged means its in mono..i just forgot to say it WAS stereo until i got that EQ, then we hooked it up bridged

Here's kinda what we have. The singer took 2 more of them speaker cabs so we're probably lookin to replace them.

1-Mixer-Peavey 2002RQ 24 Channel

1-EQ-Peavey QF131 each band with an feedback LED

2-Amps-Peavey PV1500 1500 watts RMS in 4 ohms when Bridged 750 a side other wise.

2 speakers- Peavey TLS4 800 Watt program/1600 Watts peak 4 Ohms -Two 15 inch Sheffield® Pro 1500 HO™ woofers with 2.5 inch voice coils

Edit: Can you tell we are fans of Peavey?!

OK. I'd recommend this...
1. come out of the board mono, into the EQ.
2. split output signal from EQ - with one side going into each side of the amp. Meaning left/right gets same EQ'd signal. You are running mono.
3. Run one speaker off each side of the amp. (2nd amp is not used)

If you need more output power, trade up your amps for something larger.

A 2nd option [below] has a FAR greater chance of blowing your speakers with TOO MUCH ouput, and I DO NOT recommend it.
1. come out of the board mono, into the EQ.
2. split output signal from EQ - with one side going into each amp. Meaning each amp gets same EQ'd signal.
3. Bridge each amp, and run one speaker off each.

CAVEATS on 2nd option.
1. You would be running 1500 watts bridged RMS into a 1600 watt peak speaker. You can seriously damage and probably blow your speakers (very easily) with this kind of mismatch. 1500 RMS can produce 2700/2800 peak output. Again, I DO NOT recommend this configuration.

A 3rd option - if your speakers support bi-amping and don't have built in crossovers - would be:
1. purchase a crossover.
2. run hi side output from x-over into one amp. Connect l/r from amp to hi input on speakers.
3. run lo side output from x-over into 2nd amp. Again, connect l/r from amp to lo side on speakers.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Back