EQ program????

TaxMan88

If what I am looking for exists, it will be a wonderful thing!! ;) Is there a program out there solely for the purpose of EQing?? I don't need the recording part of the software. I already have that. I'm basically looking for a mixing board in a computer program. And here's the catch . . . . is there one FOR FREE?? ;)

If this DOES exist, have any of you used it, is it any good, and where can I get my hands on it??

Hope someone can help. :)

--Tax :D

After reading my post . . .

I realized that I should have been more specific.

What I'm thinking about is a program in which I could assign an un-EQed .wav file to a track and treat it as though I was running it through a mixer. Then I could save the file WITH the eq to use it in a mix on my recording software. (No, I know you're all wondering it, but my software does NOT have eq on it. Very cheap. In fact free. Someone gave it to me.)

Hope I've cleared this up a little.

--Tax :D

Hey Taxman (Don't come after me!)
The problem with this idea is it's hard to eq a track without listening to the other tracks (unless you have the sonic equivalent of a photographic memory and can "remember" what the other tracks sound like while eq'ing one!) :-)
My suggestion is N-Track. It's not free, but for $60 you get a pretty darn nice software package. Unlimited tracks, built in 3 band parametric EQ per track, support for plug-ins, I haven't used any other recording software, but I have no problems with N-track. You can download the demo at http://www.fasoft.com.
Good luck!

-Evan

Definately get a copy of n-Track. You need some recording software that supports plugins, and all the sudden you'll be overwhelmed by EQs, and compressors, and reverbs...etc.

Or you could get a wave editor like Cool Edit that does DX plugins. It probably has native EQ as well.

For the "free" solution you can use Goldwave which is NOT free but a fully functional shareware wave editor. Do a search and it should be easy to find. Goldwave does not support plugins but does have some little effects/processors that work ok.

Like gordone said though...you really want something that will operate in realtime. Using a wave editor is NOT realtime :) Unless you really know what you're doing, it's going to take you forever to get any work done if you have to constantly switch between your mixing software and a wave editor. It can take up to several minutes to destructively apply certain effects to large audio files.

Slackmaster 2000

Back