EQ plug for monitoring needed

P Hallin

Ok, this might be a lost cause, but maybe someone can help...

My monitors arent completely flat. Especially where they are placed but I cant do anything about that...
Is there a plugin (or standalone program) EQ that control the output from the soundcard (to the amplifier/monitors). Of course I could buy a hardware graphic EQ but if I dont HAVE to i´d rather dont.
I´ve been searching around on the web but can´t seem to find anything that fits my need.

Anyone?

Of course, but in this case they are not, they are a bit bass heavy around 50 hz. I intend to MAKE them flat. We dont all have the perfect monitoring enviroment but we can do what we can to make it as good as possible. We can not do what we can not do. I dont have the resources to build a perfect studio and get the best monitors. Since this is a forum for HOME-recording, we usually record in our homes and tries to make the most of it...

PH,

> they are a bit bass heavy around 50 hz. I intend to MAKE them flat. <

Good luck. :D

The real problem is the response changes all around the room. Play a 50 Hz sine wave and walk around, then do the same at 60 Hz, 80 Hz, 100 Hz, and so forth up to maybe 300 Hz. You'll quickly see it's not just 50 Hz that's a problem. And you'll also see why trying to use EQ to correct room acoustics is a losing proposition. No matter what EQ curve you apply, anything you fix here makes things much worse over there.

--Ethan

Ethan,

So real-time analyzing a home studio is a waste of time, even for close-in (1.5'), low-volume monitoring?

I can sympathize with PH. Using Alesis M1 Active Mk2s (I know... substandard gear... the Mackies have to wait 'till after Christmas!), I typically roll-off frequencies below 50 or 60Hz with a Rane 2/3 octave rack-mount EQ to lessen room modes? That's been my method for awhile and it's workable.

Oops, I misread and thought you were complaining that they were too flat sounding, lol.

Cmpsr-The problem with using EQ is that it only adjusts for that one point in space where the measurment mic is. RTA's and measuring are not a waste of time but you need to get a good sampling of the entire room.

Cmp,

> So real-time analyzing a home studio is a waste of time, even for close-in (1.5'), low-volume monitoring? <

It's not a waste of time, but at low frequencies it's inaccurate because the true response is far worse than is displayed. This is for standard 1/3 octave pink noise analysis. Sine waves or other methods that resolve down to 1 Hz can give an accurate reading.

> I typically roll-off frequencies below 50 or 60Hz with a Rane 2/3 octave rack-mount EQ to lessen room modes? <

Sorry, that doesn't really work. Besides the fundamental room modes there are also the multiples, sort of like harmonics. And those extend to well above 50-60 Hz.

--Ethan

Oh yes of course you are right about the problems mentioned (damn). That why the bass register is so tricky to get right. I guess that in my shoddy conditions the best I can do is to check how mixes sound on as many systems in as many places I can find (like the small kitchen CD-player, Headphones with good response and audiophile-friends kickass stereos and so on...)

And use lots of referencing on your monitors to cd's that relate to the style you working on. You tend to learn where your total 'environment' lands, whether it's 'great' or not. Then maybe you get to loose one more piece of 'gear' in your monitoring chain as a bonus.
Just another 2cents from a homeRec'dr.:D
Wayne

Back