EQ on clean channel

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
Bubba brought something up on another thread. Doesn't like shared EQ between clean and crunch channel. To be honest, I wouldn't either.

But it got me thinking, does anyone do that much tone shaping with the EQ on their clean channel. I thought about it when I got my last amp which only has a tone control on the clean. I was worried about that at first and then I decided that, in combination with the pickup selector, coil tap and tone control it was more than enough.

Does everyone else spend far more time fiddling with their crunch channel than their clean channel?

Bubba brought something up on another thread. Doesn't like shared EQ between clean and crunch channel. To be honest, I wouldn't either.

But it got me thinking, does anyone do that much tone shaping with the EQ on their clean channel. I thought about it when I got my last amp which only has a tone control on the clean. I was worried about that at first and then I decided that, in combination with the pickup selector, coil tap and tone control it was more than enough.

Does everyone else spend far more time fiddling with their crunch channel than their clean channel?

Bubba was talking about a DSL. The DSL has Clean and Crunch on the same "Classic" channel. It's one channel with two modes. The shared EQ is a problem on those amps when you switch from "Classic" to the Lead, or "Ultra" channel, as they call it. When you dial in the Classic channel it's fine, then switch to Ultra channel and it sounds like ass. You have to re-tweak. This is not good for live situations when you may wanna channel jump on the fly.

Only one out of my five heads has a clean channel, and I only use it for very clean surfy stuff, and it has it's own EQ, so no problem for me. The rest of the time I'm blaring through single channel amps and clean up by rolling back the guitar vol.

Yeah, it just got me thinking, that I don't really spend that much time worrying about my clean channel. But I spent a while tweaking the EQ on the gain channel to blending in my bass, mid and treb. This just wan't important to me on clean.

Yeah, it just got me thinking, that I don't really spend that much time worrying about my clean channel. But I spent a while tweaking the EQ on the gain channel to blending in my bass, mid and treb. This just wan't important to me on clean.

I always like it when the voicing of an amp lets me just put all the EQ on 5 and have it sound great. That's like my first test when looking at an amp. Grab a guitar I'm familiar with, pickups I'm familiar with, put everything on 5, and see how it sounds. If it's good, I can probably live with that amp forever. When setting up live, I always start on 5 and tweak for the room. It rarely takes much with my amps because I know what to expect and I really like their natural voicings.

I also start with the sticking everything on 5 and work out from there.

I also start with the sticking everything on 5 and work out from there.

What's really cool, IMO, for me on my Plexi-style amps is the EQ comes before the preamp stage. In this situation you can tailor which frequencies get crunched up. If you want the low end to stay mellow and get a ton of drive out of the mids and highs, just dime the mid and treble. If you want the low end to be fat and gainy, just dime the bass. It's almost like having gain knobs for frequency ranges.

Back