EQ instruents... cutting out slots for things..

lbcstudios

as of lately... ive been workin alot on my recording skills( they have improved greatly since my last posts at the mp3 clinic..).. it seems lke my past few few gigs have been goin good.. i get good sounds for each instrument: guit, bass, drums, vox... BUT

after listening to some cds that ive bought lately of well known artists.. ive noticed how good everything sits and has its own little spot in the mix... my mixes.. seems like all the parts and instruments are smackin into each other... could EQ help out.. i have a descent knowloedge with compression .. it just seeems that the bas runs into kick and... well you prob get my point.. i dont have any EQs exceot for a focusrite and a 4 band that came with protools... i dont have a knowledge of how to carve out spots for thing in the mix.... can someone refer me to some basic suggestions.. or a book or somethin? thx

HERE is a link with some good tips regarding making spce in the mix using EQ. It's mostly about the problematic low-mid region, but the tricks learned therein can be applied throughout.

i agree.. good link ! i got some ideas to try... but.. anyone know of a good Eq book that is very basic? i need somethin to occupy me in school. thx

i figured someone would come and say that... i have study halls that i have nothing ot do in.. but thats not the point... anyone have any reccomendations for a good book on EQing basics?

Try to solve this problem when you are recording the instruments in the first place. You might need EQ at mixing time to enhance some clarity here and there. However, if you just put your faders up with no EQ and no compression you shouldn't have instruments "smackin into each other".

Move that microphone around and really listen to the full mix when you record. Get it to fit right from the start.

I was mixing my steel drum band's tunes at a studio the other day (well I wasn't mixing, but I was chillin' with hte engineer)..

anyway, we were talkin about recording/mixing of course the whole time and he emphisized the need to make room for things especially vocals. The vocals' low end needs space in the mix...

anyway, just thought it was interesting. ha.

Back