eq going to tape to ballance high freq rolloff

LUNE

...a pieds joints
I wanted to get some perspective / stories about using high eq boost going to tape, particularly if people have settled on any standards that they like for their machine/particular setup/particular instruments/ whatever.

as particular as possible would be interesting: what freq., how much boost, how broad/tight, what eq machine, what tape deck, speed, tape type, on what instruments/sources etc.

I did some searches but couldn't find the sort of thread i was looking for.

I've been starting experiments with this, and will continue to do so with hopes of finding a few 'standards' to use when tracking.

I wanted to get some perspective / stories about using high eq boost going to tape, particularly if people have settled on any standards that they like for their machine/particular setup/particular instruments/ whatever.

My recorders generally don't have any roll -off to worry about, but when I track with my M-130 ribbons, I may use a 12K shelf to boost the highs going in to compensate for the mike's roll-off on the high end. Up to 5 dB or so, just so I don't have to eq it on playback and raise the hiss level, too. OTOH, sometimes it doesn't even need it, depending on the instrument and the sound I need.

Cheers,

Otto

as particular as possible would be interesting: what freq., how much boost, how broad/tight, what eq machine, what tape deck, speed, tape type, on what instruments/sources etc.

Find a way to A/B your source, pre/EQ...and the output off your tape.
Then adjust your EQ until the tape output closely matches what you are hearing from the source, pre/EQ.

Though I guess if you find out from the specs what frequencies and how much drop-off your deck exibits...you can just set up a "default" EQ to make up for it.
Much of that "make up" is usually accounted for during electronic alignment.
If you try to over-boost...you may just end up with a lot of additional noise/hiss.

Back