EQ dip in 14.9k range? Normal?

rkmase

I was just messing around today and noticed that everything I recorded (both DI and mic'd) has a EQ shelf dip in the 14.9k range. After loading up some MP3s I noticed the same dip. I figure this is just a product of my ass-tastic Soundblaster X-fi card. Is this a correct assumption? That the card just doesn't reproduce sound well in that range?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• eq.JPG
    eq.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 47
rkmase said:
I figure this is just a product of my ass-tastic Soundblaster X-fi card. Is this a correct assumption?
Yes, that is a correct assumption.

You need a new sound card like this.

That will get rid of your problem.

Thanks ssscientist.

Just for my own curiosity, what would be the difference in having a soundcard that adequately reproduced that range, and just manually boosting that frequency range?

Just because you think you know where the frequency range that needs to be boosted is in the signal you are working with today doesn't mean it will be the same when you're working on a different signal tomorrow.

You can try it and see, but I predict you'll get tired of the 'spectrum analysis/EQ to compensate' process before the week is out if you use your computer for enough recording.

And some signals are just like that naturally. If you crank too much 14k into the signal represented you'll probably make it so shrill it'll peel paint.

Back