EQ can someone explain this??? thanks

midwesttribune

I own Protools LE 6.7 mbox I already use a compressor and i was told this is what i need to do to a mp3 instrumental in order to sound in the mix with vocals. so i dont sound just over the beat.
To: Midwesttribune "The vocal is loud enough I think the problem is you haven't made room for it with EQ. Unless you've done this already send your mp3 to a bus, place an EQ in the bus and scoop out some of the mid range, centre the peak around 1k reduce around 3db with a Q around 0.60 to 0.80. Then on your vocal boost the mid range but only by 1-2 db at 1k with the same Q. This should make the vocal intelligeble without it being so loud it sits on top of the mix. Hope this helps." From: person

With protools on the eq levels you can tweak is this:
input-(starts at 0.0) type: select (hi-pass, lo-pass, hi-shelf, low-shelf, or peak) Gain-(starts at -8.0) Freq-(starts at 1.0khz) Q-(starts at 1.30)

so to "centre the peak" i select peak? what about the "1K"? how do i "boost the midrange" to "reduce around 3db" is that reduce the gain from -8.0 to -11.0? and as far as the Q i understand just move that between 0.60 and 0.80 from the orginal 1.30 an i just do this to the mp3's bus its on?
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS

What he's suggesting is that you gently and widely gouge out of the MP3 the mid frequencies surrounding 1kHz by just a couple of dB and then boost those same frequencies in the vocal by just a bit less.

What I suggest is that you get the original tracks from your DJ instead of a canned MP3 so it can all be mixed at the same time.

G.

Back