epitaph

bozmillar

I just finished mixing this song yesterday, and now I need some critiques while I let it rest a couple days.

There is a little glitch at 25 seconds that is not on purpose. It showed up after I exported.

Any feedback good or bad is appreciated.

Last edited:
I like the song. Performances sound good. Your guitars are very loud and drown out everything else. Bass is low. The stuff you've got on your mix bus is giving the track a nasty harsh midrange, and I thought I heard clipping too. Death by mastering? I'm hearing some strange clicking or crackling in the background. The cymbals are washing out.

It's really loud. The mix holds up pretty well to all that squashing. But some more dynamics would make a more pleasurable listen.

I like the singer's voice.

Kind of a rumbly bass. But I thought it worked quite well on this tune.

That thing at 1:54 was cool. Or at least it was original.

I'd like a more natural sounding snare. I suppose the sound you have fits the genre. But I wonder what a more natural sounding snare would sound like.

I also thought the level on the guitars was a bit high. Not horribly high, but a bit.

ok, I updated the link above. I took off the limiter, because I didn't want that to be the thing everybody focused on.

I also made some minor changes

Much better. You've lost some of your volume, but you can get that back without going to the extremes of the last mix. I'm not hearing that squashed ugliness. The guitars seem more in scale with the rest of the instruments now.

I'm not hearing much bass. I know bass tends to be treated as the bottom end of the guitars in a lot of heavier music. If that's what you want, then you're there. If you want the bass to have more of a voice in the ensemble, then I'd say bring it up. That crash cymbal that rings continuously needs attention. I'm not hearing any hits on it, just a continuous wash of noise.

That's about all I have for now. Andrushkiwt on this forum does alternative/modern rock music and has gotten very good at mixing it. I'm sure he could give some suggestions if he wants.

I hope you'll listen and offer comments on some of the other postings.

A disclaimer is in order: I’m pretty new to this, so don’t treat my comments with any authority.

Reminded me of Tesseract, which is absolutely awesome! I'm only capable of one comment on this mix, and it may be more personal taste than anything as well: I like the guitar sound a lot - gives it a unique feel, in my book, but there is little else to fill the role of driving the song forward in its place. The only thing I find a bit odd about this song, then, is I feel it lacks momentum. That might just be me, though :)

Anyways, top notch job!

What is your guitar chain - i like this sound. The structure/arrangement is my only critique, the mix sounds good. Trapt is the first band that came to mind - one of my favorites.

nice work. Please share your guitar chain/setup. thnx

Yeah, I had a really hard time finding something to drive the song a little more. Everything I tried just sounded to busy/cluttered. I think it probably would have benefited from being sped up just a little, but it's a little late for that kind of change. I suppose I could add more business to the drums.

As for the guitars, it was a small blackstar practice amp mic'd with an SM58. We quad tracked the guitars, and for 2 of the guitars I used the mic'd amp, and for the other 2 I used Ignite Emissary and I don't remember which impulses for the cabs. the mic'd amp was kind of dark sounding, and the DI'd guitar was kind of bright, so the two seemed to kind of compliment each other. Plenty of EQ as well.

Awesome!Love the reverse reverb effect mixed in here and there. This sounds very pro to my idiot ears.:D

Not idiot ears...he did a great job there. Nice sounds all around. I'm keen to it since its more my style and I'm glad theres more alternative stuff I can compare mixes with and learn from.

Great job again. Thnx for the chain tips

Boz,
Sounds good for the genre. The guitars are a little fizzy for my tastes - I'd push the darker ones up a little.

Back