Epiphone Dot Troubles

Royston

I just recently bought a brand new Epiphone Dot, why will the fookin thing not stay in tune for more than 5 minutes. I put brand new top dollar 10 gauge strings on it to no avail. Is it the tuners or are these guitars simply unstable pieces of junk?

I really loved my Dot, I wish I had kept it. Are you stretching the strings out really good? And is it just the G-String or all of them? It seems every Gibson related product ever made won't hold the G-String. Anyhow, did you get one of the ones with the GibsonUSA pickups? I have seem those out at MARS lately.

For kicks sometime, you should try a set of flatwounds on it, like 11 or 12's. That was m preferred setup on my Dot.

H2H

I've heard a LOT of people say that one of the first things they replaced on their "dot" was the tuning machines. The tuning stability is probably why.

Peace <><

I guess I'll try the flatwound 11's and replace the tuners and see if that help. And, yes the G string is the main culprit! My last Epiphone Sheraton used to do have the same habit too. It does seem to be a problem with Epiphone/Gibson guitars. My dot did come with Gibson USA humbuckers, they sound fine.

Did you find the 11 gauge flatwounds to be difficult to play lead on?

Is it aplastic nut or bone or graphite . If it is plastic a neat little trick i came up with for cheaper ass guitars is take a syringe yes that is right a syringe and inject a minute amount of bore oil or similar substance (nothing abusive though lol) into each little groove on your nut or sometimes you have to use some tiny files to touch up the nut. From dicking around and learning thru the years, most cheap ass gits have this prob ,maybe take it to a good tech it might be cheaper than new heads . Cheers Gag

IT depends on your playign style. They are very hard to bend, but if you do more sliding than bending, like me, you'll probably like them.

H2H

If you Really like the guitar, why, a nice set of Schallers won't look bad at all on it. Why they don't do that to begin with is a mystery to me. (Well, OK, not that much of a mystery...). Silk instead of satin for fifty bucks.

The nut is a plastic one, should I have the nut replaced. Shit, this is a joke on a brand new guitar, the freaking thing should be right out of the box. I shouldn't have to modify the bloody thing!

It's not like it's a $199 De Armond or Danelectro piece of shite!

The dang thing cost me $479, can one send it back if it won't stay in tune? Is that considered a warranty issue?

$479?? I think you paid too much. Doesnt MF sell the things for $350? Maybe not, but I thoguht they did. But anyways, go ahead and put nice tuners on it and a good nut. And keep in mind that the Gibson version sells all day for $2,500. A few upgrades fo your own are worth it to you.

And be easy on DeArmonds! My S73 is a KILLER guitar!

H2H

shoot up that puppy with a little oil, if not a new nut is not a very exspenive job 20 bucks or maybe less just get a good tech there are a few bad hacks around, boy could I tell some stories. I should also mention that most probs I've had with tuning is more the cheap nut than the machine heads unless the heads are extremely cheap . ie. sears gits or other assorted junk ass skank . later Gag

yeah i also agree,,,,the probable cause is the nut, but good tuners make a huge dif too, but i'd take joes advice and try the oil,,,,,one thing gibson might have been screwing up on all these years (dare i say gibson screws up) is the slot width of the nut, or it just could be the design of the headstock and which way the string gets pulled to the tuner,,,,a good guitar will always stay in tune if the slots in the nut are CLEAN,,if they are dirty or not sized right, when u bend a string or get aggressive in your playing, the string could be binding up in the slot, imagine the slot being all cruded up or too small so the string can't slide freely, when u bend u pull the string into the fretboard, then when u release, the string doesn't slide back towards the tuners, that is why joe recommended the bore oil, it could ust do the very trick, or a good tech (like joe was saying) could just file that slot the perfect width for u,,,,,unless u feel comfortable doing it youreslf of course.....then u can (if u want) upgrade in better tuners once you are sure the slot for the g string is right (heck, might already be, maybe it is the tuners, but i doubt it, i've used crapy $29. can. tuners and they work fine if the nut is working properly,,,,oh yeah, like someone was saying up there, a thicker gauge string would really help too, but u are using 10's so u should be fine (if it's an electric, u are fine, if not, go to 12's er 13's) good luck.

Back