Epiphone Dot Troubles Part 2

Royston

Thanks to everyone who suggested changing out the original plastic nut for a bone nut. It did make a world of difference.

However, I have one more question for you guys.

The G-string sounds fine when i play it open or on the first fret and sounds fine when played on the third fret. But if I try and play on the second fret it is easily a semi-tone too high.

Any suggestions?

A semitone too high? You mean it actually sounds at least as high on the second fret as it does on the third fret?!?!? :eek: :confused:

Most certainly not a genius here, but the G is famous for being hard to get a leash on......adjust the saddle slot under the string, using 12th fret as your tuning ideal.....almost always there will still be some "off" to the G, though it will be way less if you mess with the saddle a bit......but you'll at least be able to better control where the "off" is....sometimes there's a sorta trade off, and you might have great tuning open to fret 10 or something, but anything above that will be a bit off.....adjusting will let you pick where you play the most.......gibs

You may need to adjust the saddle. If the pitch is sharp when fretted, with new strings of the gauge that you will be using, adjust the saddle away from the neck. Sounds like maybe you should adjust the intonation of all the strings. Old strings will not intonate properly, never intonate without new strings. Also when you change string gauges, you need to re-intonate. I don't know your skill level, but watch out for your playing technique; you can pull a string sharp inadvertently by pressing down too hard, or pulling sideways a little, light strings or strong fingers are common culprits (as are overly pitch-sensitive ears ). The G string is always a problem child to my ears even on a properly intonated guitar; I usually tune the G a little flat as a compromise. The 12-note equal tempered system is not perfect in and of itself, and guitars have their own inherent problems...

I agree the "G" is always a problem child but my other two guitars (Rickenbacker & Vox) are pretty much perfect.

Back