Epiphany...a bit of an experiment

producerkid

Those who run multi-format facilities or have a DAW and a great tape deck, lend me your ears.....literally.

Find a purely digital sound from a purely digital source (like a purely synthesized sound or even using an electronica track ripped at a high sampling rate from a cd that you know was completely sequenced/recorded on a DAW without any other D/A conversion). Record that digitally (s/pdif) or import it into your DAW on a stereo track of its own.

Now take the same source or track and record it to tape (fresh if possible). After its been recorded to tape, record it into your DAW on its own track side-by-side with the purely digital track.

Now, record a stringed instrument of some sort (prefferably a cello or violin) to tape, and then record that performance from tape into your DAW on a new track side-by-side with the other synth/electronic tracks. Now record the same string performance (as close as you can get it with as close to the same mic proximity as you can get with the same signal chain) directly to your DAW, again side by side with the other tracks.

Throughout this entire process, keep your sources as dry as possible with no additional processing whatsoever. Also, get your signal-to-tape as hot as possible without saturation and use no noise reduction.

Balance the track volumes between the two electronic sources so that they are apparently the same. Do the same with the string performance tracks.

Heres the real kicker....

Get in front of your monitors or in a great set of headphones, clear your head, and get the volume to a substantial level. A/B the electronic tracks as seamlessly as possible and note the differences unforgivingly. Do the same with the string performances.

What I believe will happen:

1) The electronic track that was recorded to tape before digital will be missing transients and depth, or "realism" (lol) that the completely digital track retains. It will sound smeared and unbelieveable. You won't want to keep listening to it or at least won't be taken aback by it.

2) The string performance that was recorded to tape will sound as it should, albeit a bit noisier. It will sound like an instrument. The digital recording will have a very artificial "buzziness" to it. Dare i say choppiness? hehheh.

FINAL SUMMATION?: none

Well, in a way. Ever notice that old electronic music recorded and delivered on analog medium (listen to an old Kraftwerk album for example) sounds like shit? It might be "cool" but it sounds like shit. lol. Alot of old rock recordings tracked on analog will still sound like shit until you turn up the volume on a good stereo. These recordings were meant to be played loud with lots of fidelity to boot. The old component systems of the late 70's/80's (tube or solid state) which were replaced by the smaller, modular systems of today(Aiwa, Sony, JVC, you name it) will make you hear music in a different light. Old rock and classical recordings will come alive and sound as if they are "in your head", and modern recordings will be near-unlistenable past a certain volume threshold which you can find quickly. Especially modern rock recordings. It's because most good systems from that era could re-create sounds beyond the threshold of active human hearing. The mini-systems of today are laughable at best for critical listening and its that reason that alot of modern recordings are being forced into "ugliness" to be accepted and to come across well by todays standards. And I'll be my own advocate. Alot of modern rock recordings sound kickass to me. Ultra-compressed drum and bass sounds sound fucking AWESOME if they are done the right way. However, shitty recordings that are over-compressed to conform to the "small stereo" standard just piss me off and sound like garbage.

All I am saying is that whether or not something should be tracked analog or digital depends on the source, not necassarily the style of music. If the source is purely synthesized or artificial and the intention is NOT to sound at all organic, it's generally going to sound better from the source if it's recorded digital. Same applies with analog for an organic source. Now don't confuse organic for analog. An analog synth from the 80's will still sound like a generally "digital" instrument. That's because it is an artificially created, synthesized sound. If you record an analog synth to digital it will still sound focused and articulate. If you record it to tape it might not sound like shit, but it will sound un-naturally organic or "non-realistic", lol.

So, really, it's all about how you plan on things coming across in the end result. I'm not saying by any means that it is not possible to make something organic sound great in digital by any means or vice-versa for something un-organic on tape. However, it's not true-to-life by default, so it is going to take alot more attention to detail and alot more skill as well as unnecassary processing to make the same source sound accurate on the "wrong" medium.

There is a confusing stipulation. Why does something organic that was tracked analog and then transferred to digital still sound better or "different" (i.e. drums) than it would had it been tracked straight to a DAW? Well my belief is that it is because the recorded source from analog being transferred to digital stream is now asymmetrical to the digital stream. The bits being chopped up during the transfer don't conflict with the original signal because it has been given a chance to develop before being resampled. The digital transfer doesnt within itself sound better or different, but is more of an illusion. Digital is digital. If you are converting a track from tape to a digital format, the signal is still being resampled. However, the signal being first recorded on tape will still give the effect of being more true-to-life because it was captured first without interruption or "sampling". Of course the results will vary because every tape machine has its own response curve, but an audio workstation will always have a flat response within itself (not including mics, preamps, etc).

So ultimately, "true-to-life" is really bullshit. lol. If anything, digital recording is more generally true-to-life. However, it is the illusion of choice that matters the most. Even the best tape machine will alter the recorded source to it's own spec. But the point is that this is something you either desire or you don't. Either way, tape is still not chopping up your source into fine pieces and re-assembling them. It's just that for some sources the "tape effect" is deffinately desirable and will allow for much more realism in the final product. But again, for some music, "realism" isnt important and can sometimes hurt the final product and forcably make it "unrealistic". Electronica music is not organic or realistic by any means, so recording it to tape is probly not going to yield something thats ultra-dimensional. At best, it will still sound cool but it will not sound impressive and be even less 3D unless you REALLY work on it but then you are just aggrivating something that would have been fine on disk and risking the overall fidelity.

Tape and tape recorders react like the human ear and each tape machine is subject to having its own character just like every persons set of ears. This is why some people choose certain tape decks over others and the same reason why people choose certain producers and engineers over others. It's the way they "hear" things.

Even tape decks with a "flat" response (any late Studer) are usually preffered for organic recordings over digital because the result is still every bit as organic as the real thing. Organic sounds are NOT numbers and switches.

Take from this what you will, I am not going to dictate the way someone should or shouldn't make a record. There is no "good" way to make a record, but there are better ones.

Also, as a sidenote, ever wonder why recording more than one mic on a source makes that source sound fuller ESPECIALLY in digital? Conflicting, or "out of sync" samples between the two tracks channels cause the signal to blend better within itself because there are no "pieces" missing due to the capturing of the source in two different instances of time.

Hehheh. I'm not an expert but I definately know what my ears tell me and don't ignore ANYTHING.

~the kid

Last edited:
I can't dispute the general point you were making.;) Digital and analog both have their strengths and weaknesses. It would be expensive and time consuming, but if studios utilized both formats to create an album, it would be an excellent sound to the ears. They would have to find a method that worked for them that would enable them to mix down the analog and digital at the same time, without running the tape through a DAW or a dozen or so pieces of equipment with D/A converters to deteriorate the original analog signal. I don't see that happening and this "analog vs digital" debate will rage on until either A) us fans of analog finally all die off, or B) the end of time.:p

It doesn't take all that much equipment to get a DAW to chase a tape machine. In doing so, you would be running both mediums at the same time, in sync.

-MD

Hey, producerkid! That's one hell of a post. I have to give it to you for pure time and thought involved to write this all out. You make a very good and interesting proposition. :)

producerkid.

Just remember that any sound that you then dub to tape is already in analog form even before it goes to tape.

I personally dont buy what you say because I've heard good quality tape playback and good quality digital playback and they both are VERY close to the original sound, no matter what that sound is. But nobody is saying it's perfect either. But it doesnt need to be as our ears arent perfect either.

A recorder is just a means of recording an alternating electrical waveform. In other words, a long wiggly line. The recorder doesnt care what the original source of that waveform was. It doesnt have the intelligence to discern it or to care. That's not its job. It's just like a camera or a photocopier. It doesnt give a shit. Only humans take an interest in how the sound was originated, and that's fine too.

What sort of analog tape gear are you basing your comparisons on? Sounds like it may not be very high quality.

Cheers Tim

The notion that digitally synthesized sound is more 'pure' or doesn't suffer from the drawbacks that digitally recorded analog sound does (e.g. from a mic) is a flawed one. A sine wave generated by a digital system is still subject to sampling rates. A completely analog synth, for instance, will create a perfect sine wave- the digital synth version of this is closely comparable to a digital vs. analog recording from a microphone. It's the exact same argument, and there are already a wealth of threads dealing with every possible permutation of it on this board.

Epiphany...a bit of an experiment

It’s nice to see someone giving it so much thought... and nice to see someone as long-winded as I. :D However, I’ve found that tape helps soften harsh digital signals… for example, from digital 80’s synths (many of which I still own) and digital drum machines of any vintage. Well, tape helps temper transients in general from any instrument, acoustic or synthesized, digital or analog. That’s one reason why I prefer it.

All tape formats are not created equal though, nor all digital systems, so any results in an experiment will vary depending on what the reader is using.

It’s in one of my long lost posts (or lost long posts :o). I’ll find it around here sometime. I use the term, “Better than live” in describing what analog tape can do for music. I prefer it to fidelity in many cases.

In fact I think this better-than-live tape was just one of those accidental factors that enabled the era of great music of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s (some 90’s). This era faded in pace with the increasing popularity and ultimate dominance of digital recording. Coincidence? ;)

Live music often isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. The studio environment gives more control and tape in particular can take the edge off unpleasantries in natural sound. Natural sound isn’t all good. Partly because we capture it unnaturally, and partly because most instruments, including voice, have unpleasant attributes.

:)

Last edited:
A sine wave generated by a digital system is still subject to sampling rates. A completely analog synth, for instance, will create a perfect sine wave
As a circuit designer who has done some of this, I'd say it's easier to get the distortion products down when generating the sine wave digitally than to make a really clean analog oscillator. (I still like analog tape recorders though.)

Have you read The Recording Angel? It's a very interesting dissertation about what live music is & consideration of what recording it renders it as, along with all the extra scarey bits about transient beauty, the art(ifice) of planning and making a recording, even one of a "live" event.
It was written pre digitization though so doesn't venture into that black hole.

Suuuuup. Sorry it took me so long, I only have internet at my moms atm.

Where to start, where to start.....

I suppose what I speak of is more a question of emotion through which the art and science of audio recording either conveys accurately or inaccurately.

To me, music (in the most basic form of the term) equates to emotion. Emotion has many forms, depths, and trickeries that allow it to be, on one end of the spectrum, pure enlightenment or total desparation. I firmly believe that commercial music is in a state of desperation due to pop marketability.

Pop = pop-culture = popular culture

Popular culture is derived directly from the interests of the general public, and unfortunately is directly responisible FOR the interests of the general public. So it's a catch twenty-two. You feed them crap, they will give you crap in return. Bad musicians with little to no actual talent (machines) are gaining success in the industry, and the money-makers are letting them because they look the part and because of potential longevity due to age restrictions. Why is it feasable to let this happen? Well, for one they know that a good producer (old guy with lots of experience) will be able to re-write their songs and send them through Pro Tools, resulting in a hit record. No emotion, no imagination, just product. If anyone should be getting credit for the quality of the music it's the producer, lol.

So what we have here is good people with a general interest in music being influenced by a crap market with fake and meaningless interpretations of real shit. As a result, the "pretty" potential musicans being influenced by the market are going to produce more (possibly worse) crap to put on the radio, and the cycle continues.

What does all of this have to do with sound to medium? Everything and nothing. Basicly, emotion is the key ingredient to humanism. Most everyone listens to music and most of them are influenced highly by it. If music is emotion, and mainstream/commercial/pop music is for the most part emotionless, then whats going to happen to people in and around music? I'm not saying that digital recording in and of itself is a bad thing. In my last post I discussed both digital and analog mediums equally. However, digital recording mixed with shitty ideals is tragic because it allows one to morph utter nonsense into something acceptable, thererefore enabling lower standards.

Really, none of this has anything to do with why I believe that some things are better on tape or better on disk. More to perpetuate the fact that everything music relates back to emotion which was my entire point of this thread to begin with. I suppose it really is a matter of taste, but I feel that the realism or believeabilty of a given work is directly affected by the medium its conveyed on.

I guess the whole techno on disk vs tape was moot point now since I think of it, lol. There was some artical in some mag (maybe Mix?) that I read a few years ago about a new band that recorded to tape first then scrapped it to record digital when they started hearing the playback because it "just wasn't them". Sounded like it wasnt even their music. Now whether or not thats because they sucked and couldnt beat detective the drums or whatever is beyond me. Could have also been the digital hype at the time and was fabricated bullshit.

Back to recording...

As a circuit designer who has done some of this, I'd say it's easier to get the distortion products down when generating the sine wave digitally than to make a really clean analog oscillator. (I still like analog tape recorders though.)

I definately think there's something to be said for that. Distortion is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on the circumstances. You're speaking of measurable THD, which comparatively there is alot of in the analog realm. Harmonic distortion is also an unescapable artifact of the real world that imparts itself into organic music, thus leading me to believe that it is better suited on tape.

I suppose what I was getting at with synthesized music is the fact that it is perfect on paper and by the outlines of musical signature. Organic music is not, nor was it ever intended to be. So therefore, to me, synthetic music should reside on acousticly flawless medium (digital) in order to retain the realism that it IS in fact synthetic UNLESS that is not the intended purpose. In that case, "warming up" a well sequenced digital drum track by putting it to tape or through a class A piece of kit is MORE THAN acceptable, IMO. However, I just think that a well written/orchestrated piece of "organic" music conveyed in the digital format is a bit lackluster.

The trash on the radio can stay digital for all I give a fuck, lol. It's not that I care about commercial music sounding "warm" or "harsh" because thats just respectively good or bad engineering. There's alot of great sounding crap music out there which is why I even listen to modern rock radio in specific anymore. But I wonder what would happen to all the teeny-bopper bullshit acts if we were all forced to record in 1975? We'd probably have a lot less crap on the radio, and the majors would be shitting in their pants.

Food for thought I suppose. It's never been about "analog vs digital" for me. That's a cock fight, lol. To me it's always been about moderation and selectivity, and I really feel that people are losing and have lost touch with those ideals.

Ah fuck it, tape rules. :p (Please don't flame me)

So therefore, to me, synthetic music should reside on acousticly flawless medium (digital) in order to retain the realism...

Lots of good thought in your posts, but I have to take issue with the above point because it involves a common misconception that many a shaky premise is built upon.

Most of us (Me included) do or once thought digital is/was a sonically pure medium... "What goes in is what comes out." However, this is simply not true. It began as marketing hype and quickly morphed into a full blown religion.

Both analog and digital formats add to and detract from the original source. Digital has it's own artifacts and flaws.

If one examines the format question with the idea that only analog colors the sound, the true differences between the formats will continue to elude and confound.

Digital is not the pure reference... the source is the reference. Many things in the signal chain, including the recording format, alter the sound. Something may sound different on analog tape compared to digital not only because it is adding warmth, but also because it is minus the sonic imperfections that digital contributes.

You can examine digital's impact on the source without even considering tape at all.
:)

Back