Entering the realm of drum programming...

MightyPOOsticK

Hi guys I just needed some suggestions on what I need to begin programming drums. I've looked at battery, BFD, and dr008.

Out of these 3 programs do they run on theyre own? Or do I have to buy something like cubase also?

Will any old sequencer do or should I be looking for certain kinds? I'm assuming theres differences in them so are there any off the top of your head that I should stay away from?

You could try a program called 'Fruity Loops'. Its pretty easy to use and you wont need any extra sequencer software.

I use it all the time for laying out drum patterns for my music, just load up the 'realistic' drum kit and your away!

The Seifer said:
Fruit Loops is gay. Get Cubase or Cakewalk or something.

elaborate? I keep hearing people talking about how much better cubase and cakewalk and all these are than fruity loops. Are these programs less loop oriented than fruity loops?

I don't know man; fruit loops was so gay and I'm so manly that I never tried it. I know a lot of losers that make horrible techno music with it and loop a bunch of farts in the background for a drum beat, so it can't be good. You can use any sequencer with MIDI capabilities to sequence drums, and any good sequencer has MIDI capabilities.

HAHAHAH Thank you very much Seifer that cleared up alot. I too am manly and I'm not down with fruity things and techno beats. I am into farts in the background of my mixes though so I might try fruity loops sometime.

Anyone else with some input?

Fruity Loops might not be great for making studio quality accoustic drum tracks, and true it is mainly for dance/techno kind of stuff, but there are accoustic drum sounds in there too which sound reasonable, plus you can download more sounds if you wish.

It really depends what sort of drum patterns you want to make i.e. realistic/accoustic drums, or electro type stuff.

The Seifer said:
I don't know man; fruit loops was so gay and I'm so manly that I never tried it. I know a lot of losers that make horrible techno music with it and loop a bunch of farts in the background for a drum beat, so it can't be good. You can use any sequencer with MIDI capabilities to sequence drums, and any good sequencer has MIDI capabilities.

You'll probably call me gay, but I disagree. No way is it limited to making just techno or hip hop music. That's like saying cubase is limited to making midi techno music, or Cool Edit is limited to making Rap.

It's a tool just like any other tool. I use Acid sometimes to create drum loops and sometimes I'll use Steinberg Groove Agent. Depends on which one suit's my needs at the time, and what I'm writing which is usually just rock...

Well, FruityLoops seems rather heterosexual to me (not that I'd care if it wasn't). But our friend Seifer is a bit confused- FruityLoops IS any sequencer with midi capabilities- just like Cubase or Logic. If you load up BFD, it's gonna sound the same in Cubase, Logic, Sonar, Digital Performer, Project 5, Musys, Orion, or FruityLoops. I'll grant that the quantitize settings are a little different, but if you use the Piano Roll editor (the exact same tool you'd use in Cubase, et al) you're set.

And I'm pretty sure BFD can run as a standalone. Do a little research before buying into other's opinions.

Good Luck
Chris

The Seifer said:

Yeah Im just about sick of this bs coming out of this tools computer. On top of it being information which neither helps nor adheres to any logic, its not even worthy of this forum. We should do screens on people like this.

*Scanning...*
*Scanning...*
*Scanning Completed*
>Moron Detected, Declining Permission to Post on BBS<

Wow, how simple it seems over on this end.

The Seifer said:
Nah I'm not confused, my point is that any other sequencer is better that fruit loops, so don't get it.

How exaclty do you know that if you've never tried it ?????

The Seifer said:

Seifer is Gay, Fruity Loops rocks. All things being equal I really like Sonar with DR-008 and now use that exclusively, but if you only want stand alone drum programming, Fruityloops is kick ass.

SuperCharger said:
Fruity Loops might not be great for making studio quality accoustic drum tracks, and true it is mainly for dance/techno kind of stuff, but there are accoustic drum sounds in there too which sound reasonable, plus you can download more sounds if you wish.

It really depends what sort of drum patterns you want to make i.e. realistic/accoustic drums, or electro type stuff.

You can load live wav samples into fruity loops and program hits to happen when ever you want, so it CAN be used for realistic acoustic drum sounds.

I use the hell out of Fruity Loops with acoustic drum wavs. You obviously have no idea what your talking about.

Last edited:
The Seifer said:
boo fucking hoo

losers

Since your so straight and we're so gay, why don't you tell us what You use ?

You're pretty much a dumbass, but at least your making me laugh.

Back