Enough of this low-end crap--what are good mid-priced mics?

cornjchob2

My studio's finally reaching the limits of the novice equipment I've had for about the past 6-10 months. I just got a MOTU 828mkII and I now realize just how bad a lot of my equipment is; how much noise, how poor the SNRs are, how the headroom's lower than the ratings of a Sinbad special, etc. That being said, I'm movin' on up--or, at least, I will with the help of the best damned sound community on this great net of ours. I'm not ready to spend thousands of dollars on a mic /yet/, however, I /am/ looking to spend between $300 and $700. I already have a Rode NT1A (which is a great mic and very capable--recommended) and the Shure Drum Mic package (3 SM57s and a beta52), but the one condensor is just not cutting it for me anymore, especially vocally. So if you had that mic to complement say, two more condensors and you had up to $1400 to spend, what would you buy and why? I'll be using them for drum overheads as well (something about matched-pairs?) and the occasional guitar mic (I like to do all sorts of freaky things with mics). Thanks!

Last edited:
cornjchob2 said:
So if you had that mic to complement say, two more condensors and you had up to $1400 to spend, what would you buy and why? I'll be using them for drum overheads as well (something about matched-pairs?) and the occasional guitar mic (I like to do all sorts of freaky things with mics). Thanks!

In your budget and for your purposes, I'd have a serious look at the Shure KSM-44. It's just a good mic with a solid midrange that's just neutral enough to work on a lot different things, and just slick enough to shine on a vocal track or two. Multiple patterns will also give you some added versatility.

I'd also take a look at the Audio Technica 4050 and/or the AKG 414.

I would stick with low budget mics but get a variety. I would personally buy at least 1 mid range mic.

I recommend an AT4050. Great versatile mic, i love them. But there are some other options in this price range, like Shure KSM32. These are both versatile, but if you are looking for a color thing we would need to know what.

Something like this should work. Also, buying them used on ebay could be a smart idea for getting your full moneys worth.

$300 (2) AT4033 ($150 on ebay i believe. Make great acoustic guitar mics, and decent drum overheads.)

$300 (2) MXL603

$200 Sennheiser MD421 (Very nice mic, can be used for kick drum)

Those with the AT4050 would be good. Or you could get more budget mics without the AT4050 so you would have more options.

You could also get two AT4050s and a MD421 instead. But that would not leave you with as many option ins.

Danny

$1400? How about (used prices):

- pair of SM81s, $400

- chessrock's KSM44, $500

There, that's four condensers with the Rode.

- Beyer M88, $250. I just got this and the MD421, and I like the M88 a lot more.

$250 left over, I'll let somebody else spend that.

chessrock said:
In your budget and for your purposes, I'd have a serious look at the Shure KSM-44. It's just a good mic with a solid midrange that's just neutral enough to work on a lot different things, and just slick enough to shine on a vocal track or two. Multiple patterns will also give you some added versatility.

I'd also take a look at the Audio Technica 4050 and/or the AKG 414.

These are great choices. Especially the 4050 as it can be used on a boatload of sources. I own both the 414 and the 4050 and lean towards the 4050 most of the time. The new 414s are a little more limited than the old ones but are still great on guitars and drums.

Mics

I would seriously consider a pair of SM 81's in the mix--$700new. A baby Blue bottle would be nice--another $500. For the $300 left, see what you can find--AT 4050, KSM 32, etc. That would give you 2 fine small condensers and 2 nice large diaphram units with different characteristics.

chessrock said:

Yup ,The KSM 44's would do ya..I also have used them on overheads and like 'em..As for guitar mics see if you can get a Senn. E-609 about 99.00 really does work well...if you buy them all at the same time maybe you can get a package deal..like..Hey man, Im buyin' these two KSM's give me the 609 for say...hummm...45.00..ya never know..good luck to ya..happy hunting :)

xstatic said:
Soundelux U195, then try and find some used AKG 451's.

I'm sure he would be very happy with that combo, but even used it would be very difficult to get that for $1400. Those are a couple of mics that I'd love to have some day though.

your mics arnt gonna show you the quality without a good pre you didnt meantion which pre you had. With that being said id spend the 1400 even if i had 10,000 to spend on mics. I'd buy an mxlv69 299 a grace pre for the vocal 599 rode nt5 matched pairs 299 and id use the extra money to save up and buy a decent 2 channel mic pre next. I've worked with u87 u47 ntks soudeluxe47s and tons of other gear but i love the sound of the mxlv69 without a doubt best 300 i spent on a tube condencer

First, the usual suspects, then my $1400 worth of selection-
All around mid-priced favorites-

Shure- SM7B, KSM44, SM81
Audio-Technica 4033,4040,4050
B.L.U.E.- Baby Bottle, Dragonfly
AKG- C4000B, C414B-ULS, C414TLII, C451
Electrovoice- RE20
Sennheiser-MD421, MD441
Rode- NTK, K2, NT5
Neumann-TLM103
Studio Projects-C-3,C-4,T-3
CAD- M-9,VSM
Beyerdynamic- M160, M88TG, M69TG, Opus81, Opus83
Josephson- C42

I'm sure there are bizzillions of others, but those are my "usual suspects" I have left out the high-priced spread (Brauner, Earthworks, Shoeps, Soundelux, Lawson, most Neumanns), higher priced models of manufacturers above (B.L.U.E. Kiwi/Cactus/Bottle, Rode Classic II, AKG C12VR, etc.), and most of the cheap but useful (Oktava MC012/MK319, Marshall MXL V67/69, CAD M179, AKG C2000B, Studio Projects B-1, etc.).

Now, how would I spend the $1400 or so? Well, you need a versatile main vocal mic that you can use for other stuff, a pair of small diaphragm condensers, and a kickass dynamic. As far as the consenser, I'd audition KSM44 and AKG C414TLII and choose the one that sounds best on *your* voice. The dynamic? Shure SM7B or EV RE20 are my choices. MD421 is a cheaper alternative. The MD441 rocks, but is the priciest of the dynamic options. The small diaphragms are tough, because a main vocal condenser and a good dynamic wipes out the old budget a bit. I like Studio Projects C4 for the money, and the next step up is AKG C451/Shure SM81 (about $800/$660 a pair respectively), with the Josephsons next in line ($1000 the pair). The black horse here is Beyerdynamic M160, a very cool ribbon mic. Bottom line? You can't have it all for $1400, not by a long shot, so you have to set priorities. If the instrument mics/overheads are the priority, buy the C451's and KSM44. If vocals are the priority, buy KSM44 and Beyerdynamic M160.
For my purposes, I'd just sell my wife's car, and buy a Lawson L47MKII, a pair of Schoeps CMC6's, and an SM-7B, about $5000, all told, and damn, I'm gonna miss her.-Richie

Except for losing my wife, Kenny. Where else am I going to get a harper, singer, executive producer, webmaster, artistic director, graphics designer, and shipping clerk who works for free and will sleep with me?

Thanks

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all of the help thus far--it's really given me some nice info. I'd like to especially thank Richie--I always knew there was a reason people would spend thousands and thousands of dollars on weddings :P

And to reply to doulos about the pres, ya, you're right--I should've mentioned. So I'll do it now--I've got a PreSonus DigiTube, a Behry Tube Ultragain (surprised me a /lot/--very smooth sound, especially after I swapped the tubes), the pres in my Mackie 1202vlz and the pres in my MOTU. Could yourself or anyone else recommend any others? Especially given the mic combinations--which mics go best with what pre's? Solid mic and tube pre? All tube? All transistor? And with around $500 tops? I figure only use it on vox, acoustic micing and overheads, so I guess just one pre with one or two channels. Any suggestions?

EleKtriKaz said:
I'm sure he would be very happy with that combo, but even used it would be very difficult to get that for $1400. Those are a couple of mics that I'd love to have some day though.

Isn't a Soundelux U195 under a grand? Also, I have seen several AKG 451's for the $200-$300 range used. So it may be feasible, and if so, you end up with mics you will most likely love and won't grow out of. :D

Great thread, I have been wanting opinions on those mics. Could I get some opinions from you guys. I have a 4033, 2 AKG 461 small condensers, some 57's, and Shure Beta 87. Looking mainly for a vocal mic, especially to compliment a not-too-loud female vocalist. Sometimes the 4033 sounds nasally to me. Thanks.

Back