Encouragement

Sonic Idiot said:
Ok, first, if Albinin never calls me it will be too soon. I couldn't stand to be around a guy that wears that hat all day.

Also, yes, you are professional chef if you declare yourself one. It's really simply guys. This concept is easy to grasp. There is no universaly accepted definition of a professional chef. There is no universally accepted definition of a "recording professional". There just isn't. THERE IS NO DEFINITION. I'll repeat that one more time. THERE IS NO DEFINITION.

You simply don't get the point.

Try getting a job calling yourself a professional chef and see how far you get. I don't care about credentials as you have no understanding what "credential" means.

acorec said:
If you open the yellow pages in your area and search for Professional Recording Studios, I can assure you that you will not find a home studio owner and the first thing they will show you is their list of credits.

Well, you might, but that's not the point. I agree with you, because basically, as I posted long ago on this thread, the market rules the day, not your title. But the title is up for grabs by anyone. That's all I'm saying, and it really can't be disputed because there is nothing to dispute. There is no definition of recording professional, period. It is up to each individual to to decide whether or not they are one and up to the market to decie whether they should be paid for their expertise.

acorec said:
You simply don't get the point.

Try getting a job calling yourself a professional chef and see how far you get. I don't care about credentials as you have no understanding what "credential" means.

No, you don't get my point. I understand what credential means. Those can't be taken away from you. You can't give them to yourself either. They are more trust worthy than titles. I've never disputed this. Why would I? But titles in artistic fields remain bullshit and free for the taking.

Sonic Idiot said:
Also, yes, you are professional chef if you declare yourself one. It's really simply guys. This concept is easy to grasp. There is no universaly accepted definition of a professional chef. There is no universally accepted definition of a "recording professional". There just isn't. THERE IS NO DEFINITION. I'll repeat that one more time. THERE IS NO DEFINITION.

Yes, there is a definition. That's what you don't get. As much as you refuse to believe it, in the english language, words have meanings. Individuals don't get to change meanings and claim equal legitimacy to established usage. If I say that I am a giraffe, that doesn't make it so. I suppose you may respond "Yes, you are a giraffe because there is no universally accepted definition of giraffe!" In your world, perhaps, Mr. Idiot, but you appear to speak a language all your own.

I'm not so sure why you are so keen on being a "professional" anyway, given that, by your logic, the word has essentilly no meaning.

A debate like this is sort of like telling someone that something that is precious to them isn't a "treasure" because it wasn't stolen and burried by pirates!! Every WORD in our language has a definition. It HAS too or the language and it's communication are useless!

Ugh! Istead of an argument over semantics, SonicIdiot, I think we should redirect the thread to "Being proud to be an Amatuer!"

Quoting the great Bobby Jones, (one of the greatest golfers of all time), the root of the word "amateur" is "love". An amateur is someone who does it "for the love of it". Given the smugness of most "professionals" in the "industry", I'd much rather consider myself a great amateur any day of the week than the definition of "professional" some folks have. Some amateurs like Mr. Jones were far superior to any of the professionals he played against and beat.

I'm a professional BBS member.
I can post like a mother fu**er...

I'm considering declaring myself a professional pimp and seeing how this changes the dynamics of interoffice relationships with the hot receptionist here at work...

I feel encouraged now, and wasn't that the point of this thread?

so theres a couple kids in the town where i live and when they were 17-18 they sat in their house and recorded a record using an imac and pro-tools. they happened to have a budy in town with a pretty nice set of gear and a nice room to mix in. this buddy would loan them some stuff, help em fix stuff up and in the end helped them mix their recording in his place. all in all they did all the recording and mixing while their freind with cash helped them hone the final project. they then found another buddy who sunk enough cash into pressing and promotion to get this little record out on a label he made up. they then shopped said record around and low and behold many labels showed an intrest. this record was finally sold to warner/reprise for a tidy some and the now 19-20 year old kids who were just home recording enthusiusts like us fly around the world and play shows.

seeing as a major label was willing to release this home recording (and only asked for one song to be remixed) would those kids in turn be considered professionals? what about lou barlow, iron and wine, chris walla of death cab, pedro the lion, and hell steve albini. all of these people and bands started their careers using not the uber gear that were all told you need to be professional but by being creative and having good fucking ears. whenever i see a person blathering on about this $mic and that $console i just think to myself, better records then ill probably ever make have been made with far worse gear than i have now

mr.rich said:
so theres a couple kids in the town where i live and when they were 17-18 they sat in their house and recorded a record using an imac and pro-tools. they happened to have a budy in town with a pretty nice set of gear and a nice room to mix in. this buddy would loan them some stuff, help em fix stuff up and in the end helped them mix their recording in his place. all in all they did all the recording and mixing while their freind with cash helped them hone the final project. they then found another buddy who sunk enough cash into pressing and promotion to get this little record out on a label he made up. they then shopped said record around and low and behold many labels showed an intrest. this record was finally sold to warner/reprise for a tidy some and the now 19-20 year old kids who were just home recording enthusiusts like us fly around the world and play shows.

seeing as a major label was willing to release this home recording (and only asked for one song to be remixed) would those kids in turn be considered professionals? what about lou barlow, iron and wine, chris walla of death cab, pedro the lion, and hell steve albini. all of these people and bands started their careers using not the uber gear that were all told you need to be professional but by being creative and having good fucking ears. whenever i see a person blathering on about this $mic and that $console i just think to myself, better records then ill probably ever make have been made with far worse gear than i have now
my hat is off to you mr. rich.

ROblows said:
Yes, there is a definition. That's what you don't get. As much as you refuse to believe it, in the english language, words have meanings. Individuals don't get to change meanings and claim equal legitimacy to established usage. If I say that I am a giraffe, that doesn't make it so. I suppose you may respond "Yes, you are a giraffe because there is no universally accepted definition of giraffe!" In your world, perhaps, Mr. Idiot, but you appear to speak a language all your own.

I'm not so sure why you are so keen on being a "professional" anyway, given that, by your logic, the word has essentilly no meaning.

I don't know why I bother...

I'm not that keen on it. I really don't care. And it doesn't lack meaning. It's meaning is vague--blury, hazy, imprecise, somewhat open, maleable...etc.

Of course there is a very strict definition of what a giraffe is, regardless of language. Not true of "recording professional." This is a vague term.

Vague...Precise...Vague...Precise...

And, oh, about the SP B1, did I mention how much I like it? I record mainly acoustic guitar and vox. I play a Taylor c12 grand something or another...anyways, it's a nice guitar. I love the B1 on this instrument. (which is maller bodied and very clear. It's not much for strumming, but for finger picking.) The B1 is great on that thing...after all this ballyhoo, I have to post a clip of some work I've done with it. I've just finished an album I'm selling on CD Baby, so I'm hesitant to start loading up tracks, but I'll put up some clips tonight to back up my findings with the B1, which is a sweet victory for recording professionals on a budget.

Sonic Idiot said:
Well, you might, but that's not the point. I agree with you, because basically, as I posted long ago on this thread, the market rules the day, not your title. But the title is up for grabs by anyone. That's all I'm saying, and it really can't be disputed because there is nothing to dispute. There is no definition of recording professional, period. It is up to each individual to to decide whether or not they are one and up to the market to decie whether they should be paid for their expertise.

Idiot de Sonic.......I think you're confusing professional and expert here. Anyone can call themselves an expert, but professional, as a noun, or as an adjective in front of Audio Engineer, has a clear meaning with a simple bar to clear. Either you do it for a living or you don't. If you make some money at it, but it's not your principle source of income, then your a semi-pro. If you don't get paid for it than your an amature.

None of these titles guarantees a level of expertise, and that goes both ways. The "professional" may end up having a low level of expertise, and the "amature" may be incredibly expert. Most Olympic champions are amatures, as was once a requirement.

EVERYONE:

To bring it all together...... professional quality recordings may be attained these days by non-professional recordists with semi-pro equipment, IF they possess the necessary level of expertise.

-RD

Well,this has run its course for sure, and we can agree to disagree, but the definition of professional idoes not just mean "full time." It is open to interpretation unless ascribed precise meaning. I can call my elf a recording professional, and you can disagree that I am, but it's really just your opinion against mine. There is no hard, fast definition. There just isn't. And "expert" is part of the definition of professional:

4. Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.

So they are easy to confuse.

ROblows said:
Mr. Idiot,
This salutation was in itself a work of art. Respectful and insulting at the same time!

Howzabout this? The group with the credentials are the professional audio engineers, and the home recordists who happen to make money in their home studios are audio entrepreneurs?

I just want to know why ROblows left "The Westwing" in the first place. And the writers. They made that show!! :D :D :D

Back