EMU 1820M... opinions please

OzNimbus

Just curious, if anyone has given this card a serious test drive yet.

How well does this thing stack up (the M version, with the so called 'mastering grade' converters) against say, a Delta 1010, or a Lynx TWO, or even Apogee converters...

-0z-

OzNimbus said:
Just curious, if anyone has given this card a serious test drive yet.

How well does this thing stack up (the M version, with the so called 'mastering grade' converters) against say, a Delta 1010, or a Lynx TWO, or even Apogee converters...

-0z-

I received mine, but I'm wating for my computer parts to arrive.

Well, I have the 1820 non-M...and while I can't judge the converters, I can say that the drivers are DAMN GOOD. 2 ms in Sonar 3 and rocksolid performance. The ins and outs on the break out box sound as good as any I've heard, the preamps are quite good, and software mixer is very versatile.

So good, I'm thinking of getting another one for my Shuttle box (shoebox style computer case) as a portable DAW...

Honestly, it's the drivers that impress me the most. I still can't get over how smooth it all is.

Soundwise, I like it better than the Delta Audiophile or 66, or the Aardvark Q10 I've been living with for the last half-year. I says it has a lower noise floor than any of those, and I'm wondering how much better the M will sound over it.

Last edited:
Sklathill said:
Well, I have the 1820 non-M...and while I can't judge the converters, I can say that the drivers are DAMN GOOD. 2 ms in Sonar 3 and rocksolid performance. The ins and outs on the break out box sound as good as any I've heard, the preamps are quite good, and software mixer is very versatile.

So good, I'm thinking of getting another one for my Shuttle box (shoebox style computer case) as a portable DAW...

Honestly, it's the drivers that impress me the most. I still can't get over how smooth it all is.

Soundwise, I like it better than the Delta Audiophile or 66, or the Aardvark Q10 I've been living with for the last half-year. I says it has a lower noise floor than any of those, and I'm wondering how much better the M will sound over it.

Great! I can't wait to get mine set up :)

I'm thinking of picking one of these up as my first attempt at this game. I'm wondering how good the supplied software is, and if it is enough to get me started with some basic guitar/vocal recording from start to finish? Hard to tell from the E-MU website just what the softwares capabilities are.
Any opinions?

Thanks from a real newguy!

It's Cubase VST 5. it's very good software...for when it was the big player in town, which was 3 years ago. It's a kind of rough interface, but it's a very solid program. I used it for a while ebfore I decided to move onto the Sonar bandwagon, because I preferred it's ease of use (as well as cheaper price)

Sklathill said:
It's Cubase VST 5. it's very good software...for when it was the big player in town, which was 3 years ago. It's a kind of rough interface, but it's a very solid program. I used it for a while ebfore I decided to move onto the Sonar bandwagon, because I preferred it's ease of use (as well as cheaper price)

Yes is Cubase VST 5.1 according to teh EMU Tech Support is updated to record up to 192 Khz.

Great. Now I'm wondering about the difference software-wise between the 1820M and the plain 1820. I can't see myself sampling and using lots of drum loops, etc. I'm just old enough to like to make music with instruments I can play myself, no offense to the Prodigy (gawd, now I really sound old!) fans here.
My main concern is being able to edit the various tracks fairly easily, burn a CD, and maybe add in a drum machine or similar to accompany my guitar/bass/vocal tracks.
You guys are a big help!

The big difference with the M is the "mastering grade converters" supposedly the same as is used in the Pro Tools HD. This gets you an extra 6-8 dB of dynamic range in the various signal paths around the board. Software wise the same.

I'd like to note that even the non-M has some excellent specs, beating things like the Aardvarks, the LynxOne, and the RMEs, even. Things like the LynxTwo outclass the non-M, but the M will beat it. (dynamic rang for the non-m is 112, the LynxTwo is 117, and the 1820m is 120. All numbers are A-weighted...)

besides the noise floor, there's also support for SMPTE reading and striping on the 1820m, but i doubt you're in the market for anything that needs that... :)

Cubase is certainly a good thing to learn. If you don't have a sequencing software of choice, 400 bucks for an excellent sound card and good software is a very good way to start off. it doesn't sound like you'll be needing much more than that anytime soon.

OK! That's the stuff I needed to know. I looked at the Lexiconpro Omega, but it looks like it's software is not compatible with other studio programs, so I ruled that one out. E-MU says their stuff IS compatible with other packages so I know I can upgrade my system in future if need be. I'll research the LynxTwo a bit I think, as I have not heard of that one yet. I've got a week or two before I make my purchase to ponder this stuff. Gotta build my new compuer next week when all the components arrive and make sure that runs well first!
Thanks Slathill!

Shoeman said:
OK! That's the stuff I needed to know. I looked at the Lexiconpro Omega, but it looks like it's software is not compatible with other studio programs, so I ruled that one out. E-MU says their stuff IS compatible with other packages so I know I can upgrade my system in future if need be. I'll research the LynxTwo a bit I think, as I have not heard of that one yet. I've got a week or two before I make my purchase to ponder this stuff. Gotta build my new compuer next week when all the components arrive and make sure that runs well first!
Thanks Slathill!

I ws tempted to buy the LExicon, but the fact that you can't use it with otehr software turned me off, en I bought the EMU 1820m.

I'm also wating for my computer parts.

The Lexicon looks okay on paper, but for 350 bucks street...EWWW. And the whole issue with the drivers for the Core 2 just didn't get out of my mind.

-- EDIT: Hrm...actually, on the website they show some things about getting the unit working with Sonar 3 (which makes sense since the included Pro Tracks is also by Cakewalk) and Adobe Audition. Nothing about Cubase though...I guess no ASIO drivers? --

E-mu had a similar problem with driver development back when Creative acquired them, but I was somewhat heartened by the fact that they recently put out drivers for the old APS system last year, and the specs were just too frigging good to pass up.

The thing comes with Cubase so you know it works with that, and I currently use it with Sonar 3 with no problems...

Last edited:
Sklathill said:

-- EDIT: Hrm...actually, on the website they show some things about getting the unit working with Sonar 3 (which makes sense since the included Pro Tracks is also by Cakewalk) and Adobe Audition.

Ok, thanks for clarifying it :cool:

Hi,

I am interested in the E-Mu stuff ... The specs are great but it will be interesting to see what the real world comparisons are to stuff such as the Lynx and Rme. Both of these are known to be very stable and to have great sound. The Lynx 2 and Lynx L22 are recommended by a lot folks for the quality of their converters as well as for the stability and support of the product. Just saying that if the E-mu proves to hang in there with these products it will be quite revolutionary, as the marketing implies, indeed. Lynx 2 is around a $1000 bucks and the L22 can be had for $625. The L22 would be closest to the E-Mu 1220 which is a third of the price.

Carl

Yeah, In the back of my mind the idea that a just released first generation item may not be a wise choice. But when compared to the other stuff out there in this price range the 1820 seems to come out on top, and to get seriously better performance it looks like you have to spend seriously more $$ and step up to a more "pro" platform than a guy doing this for fun might need.
Got a box of my new computer components in today! One step closer!!

Shoeman said:
Yeah, In the back of my mind the idea that a just released first generation item may not be a wise choice. But when compared to the other stuff out there in this price range the 1820 seems to come out on top, and to get seriously better performance it looks like you have to spend seriously more $$ and step up to a more "pro" platform than a guy doing this for fun might need.
Got a box of my new computer components in today! One step closer!!

It seams that You and I have the same idea about the product, and I'm also wating for my computer parts to arrive today via FedX :)

We need Our Own EMU Forum :D:D:D:D!!! OOEMUF :)

I got mine and i LOVE it with sonar 3!!!

I selling a NEW one that i bought for 369.00 brand new. check it out in the for sale forums.

< ben >

Dysunth.. What is the bundled software like that comes with the 1820? A friend is urging that I get the Studio version because it has a ton of samples, but I'm not sure I need all that. Any basis drum loops, etc. ship with what you got?

Well it does not come with it, but I have like 4 acid loop packs and a TON of other loops, about 1 gig, I can include free.

Just let me know.

Sorry, I meant could you give more detail for us about the stuff that you get when you buy the 1820? Like are there samples, etc? The E-MU website is vague about this. My main concern is if there are any drum samples/loops included, at least enough to get you started.
I do appreciate your offer though!

Back