EMU 1820 not laptop compatable?

Roaf

Dumbass
I got an email from EMU saying that the 1820 was not compatable with a notebook computer. I am not sure I understand why. Below is the actual email I received. Could someone please explain why the 1820 will not work with a laptop? (its the 1820 NOT the 1820M w/ the two PCI cards).
TIA

\m/

-Roaf

<emu response>
The 1820 will not be compatible with a laptop computer at this time.

Here is the minimum requirements for that product:

Minimum System Requirements:

Genuine Intel® Pentium® III or AMD® K6® class processor or higher operating at 500MHz or faster
Intel®, AMD® or 100% compatible motherboard & chipset
128MB System RAM
500MB of free hard disk space for full installation
Windows® 2000 SP 4, Windows® XP SP 1 or greater
PCI 2.1 compliant slot for E-MU® 1010 PCI card
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive required for software installation
XVGA Video (1024 X 768)
</emu response>

hmmmm

I know as much about laptops as I do recording!

There are Dell notebook models with PCMCIA slots for type I/II cards. I guess this is not the same as a PCI slot?

A PCMCIA slot will not work, but there is such a thing as a PCI expansion bus that you can get for a laptop. Basically it is a PCMCIA card that you hook up to an external box that you can plug PCI cards into. The lack of a PCI bus in laptops is the only reason I can see that they would say it will not work in a laptop.

If you have set your heart and you simply must have 1820 with notebook, provided only your CPU is not less then at least recent PIII or better….there is no reason in the world you why wouldn’t be able to use the same.

This is all the help you need :

http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/

I have been using their products over years - both Mac and PC.

They are industry partner with many brands Digidesign included, so there is no fear for any problems in making your 1820 and Notebook working together.

Back