emu 1212m vs. layla 3g for athlon 1.6ghz machine?

guitz

I can get a used layla 3g for $275 , vs. about $199 for a new emu 1212m....plusses for the layla: nice breakout box, headphone jack, 2 mic pre's, good driver reputation, lots of ins/outs. negatives: used, I haven't heard or read any buzz abouts it's sound quality!, $75 more than what I could get the 1212 for.....

plusses for the emu 1212: supposed great sound quality, lots of ins/outs, negatives: no breakout box, iffy drivers? (I'll be using win xp and sonar), no headphone out jack

Alright then, which would u go with given the situations above and why?

i use a 1212m setup myself, but I don't know why I bought it... it depends on what you want to record with it I guess. It seems like it would be okay for electronic music, but if you're going to be using more than 1 or 2 microphones at a time, you're going to be out of luck. The programs that come with it are useless for the most part. Overall, I would say I wasted 200 bucks and then went out and bought a Tascam FW-1804, which in my opinion is the best option if you can afford to break the budget 1 time, and drop 500 bucks on something worthwhile, yet "affordable".

pikingrin said:
i use a 1212m setup myself, but I don't know why I bought it... it depends on what you want to record with it I guess. It seems like it would be okay for electronic music, but if you're going to be using more than 1 or 2 microphones at a time, you're going to be out of luck. The programs that come with it are useless for the most part. Overall, I would say I wasted 200 bucks and then went out and bought a Tascam FW-1804, which in my opinion is the best option if you can afford to break the budget 1 time, and drop 500 bucks on something worthwhile, yet "affordable".

thanks for the reply, my main usage will be either a single mic or digitally direct from a guitar processor device...but...I do want the option of at least two mic inputs...I'm leaning towards the Layla 3g......

Back